March of the Lich King Launch Day - Everything You Need To Know!
Hearthstone's newest expansion March of the Lich King launches today, December 6th. We brought all the information and useful links together in this news post for you.
- The March of the Lich King expansion should go live 10am PT/ 1pm ET/ 19:00 CET/ 18:00 GMT.
- The Death Knight Class is coming to Hearthstone!
- Yet another 145 new cards have been added to the game, including 10 for the new DK class.
- Death Knights get a further 32 Core set cards for free, and 26 Path of Arthas set cards that can be bought as a set or crafted.
- Another 38 cards for all classes combined will follow in a Mini-Set midway through the expansion. There's not been any official details revealed yet!
- You can view all the new cards in our March of the Lich King Card List.
- And you can view all the Death Knight cards in our Death Knight Card List.
- PvE content for the March of the Lich King expansion consists of the Death Knight Prologue, which unlocks the Death Knight class and their 32 Core set cards.
Included for free in the Expansion
- Login now to receive The Sunwell for free, which fills your hand with random spells!
- All players opening up the first Reward in the new Free Reward Track will get two Cards for free, Lor'themar Theron for Constructed and Chromie for the Mercenaries game mode!
- The Death Knight class will be free to unlock for everyone. There will be a Prologue with 4 stages or PvE fights, which unlocks both the Death Knight, and their 32 Core cards.
- All players will have access to the free Core set, a replacement for the Classic and Basic set, see the Year of the Hydra set here.
- There is a special Event for this Expansion and DK release with Quests and a mini Reward Track just for this Event with rewards including a special Card Back.
Quote from Blizzard
Death Knight Prologue Available December 6
Play through the iconic story of the haughty prince Arthas Menethil as he forsakes the Light and becomes The Lich King, Hearthstone’s first Death Knight! The prologue will show you the strength of the Death Knight as you explore its new Hero Power and three Runes: Blood, Frost, and Unholy. Complete the Death Knight Prologue to unlock the Death Knight class and immediately receive 32 free Death Knight cards, added to the Core Set.
Death Knight Launch Event Starting December 6
To celebrate the launch of the March of the Lich King, a special expansion launch event will be taking place using the new Events system. From December 6 to December 20, complete daily Event Quests to earn Event XP on a special Event reward track! Complete the Event rewards track to get 6 Signature cards (2 copies each of three non-Legendary cards), a March of the Lich King pack, and a special Card Back.
A Winterveil Event will be coming later this patch. Stay tuned for more details on that event in the coming weeks.
Death Knights are Hearthstone’s newest playable class, joining the tavern with Hearthstone’s next expansion, March of the Lich King. Death Knights are a diverse class that can harness the powers of Blood, Frost, and the Undead to devastating effects. They also have a unique class mechanic and special deck building rules. Master them all as you prepare to make the most out of your Undead army!
Find out all the details of Hearthstone's newest class in our dedicated Death Knight guide.
- New Minion Type: Undead - Many cards synergize with Undead, triggering bonus effects “if a friendly Undead died after your last turn,” meaning either on your opponent’s last turn, or earlier on your current turn.
- New Dual Type Minions - In March of the Lich King, some minions will have two minion types! For Undead minions, this might be a second type to represent what they were before they became Undead. These will be retroactive additions, with both Undead and second minion types being added to many older minions as well as those in this expansion.
- Returning Keyword: Reborn - The first time a Reborn minion dies, it is resummoned with 1 Health remaining. After its return, Reborn will stay in game as an evergreen Keyword.
- New Keyword: Manathirst - Cards with Manathirst get more powerful once you reach a specified amount of mana. You don’t have to spend that mana to power up the cards, you just need access to it.
Some mechanics that were seen in previous card sets were brought back on new cards, as well as some truly new mechanics were added:
- The Demon Hunter Outcast keyword received renewed focus.
- Armor gain and even using armor as a resource is a new mechanic for Druid.
- Buffing Arcane spells seen for the first time in Hunter.
- Exodia Mage might be a thing again with the new Mage package.
- Paladins are getting self damage cards for a peculiar new archetype.
- What's a Scourge expansion without resurrection? Priest gets more support for this.
- Rogue get a brand new mechanic with Concoctions, 3 mana spells with an effect, where every 2 cards fuse into 1 more powerful spell.
- Big Shaman is now officially supported with a package.
- Discard locks are BACK!
- Spell-Hate Warrior is something everyone is going to have to deal with.
- You can view all the new cards in our March of the Lich King Cards List.
On December 6, when March of the Lich King launches, all current Arena runs will end and a new Arena season will begin. The eligible card sets will rotate so that the following sets will make up the Arena card pool:
- Curse of Naxxramus
- Mean Streets of Gadgetzan
- Knights of the Frozen Throne*
- The Witchwood
- United in Stormwind
- March of the Lich King
- Path of Arthas
Additionally, Death Knight will be added as a playable class in Arena. When playing as a Death Knight, Arena deckbuilding will dynamically update as you pick cards so that the Death Knight Rune system is followed.
* As a reminder, Knights of the Frozen Throne will be rotated back out of the Core Set with the launch of March of the Lich King.
We created a special Decks post yesterday, with a lot of new archetypes and a lot of new deck ideas. You can find the links to that Decks post below.
Alternatively, create your own deck with the Deckbuilder, add a good guide on how to pilot the deck and help create the post-launch meta!
With March of the Lich King expansion we will also see the introduction of Signature cards. These are a new collectible card type, like Golden and Diamond cards. They come from a variety of sources, including from drops in your packs! We made a guide on the topic, which should hopefully answer any questions you have about them!
That should get you started! Thanks for being with us throughout this exciting March of the Lich King reveal period. Shoutout to everyone who helped in one way or another during this time, the other moderators and staff and the devs and all the users who gave us useful suggestions and feedback, and to everyone who enjoyed and supported our coverage. You rock!
If you are looking for some company while opening packs or playing, come chat with us on our Discord.