Hands on with the Kobolds and Catacombs New Dungeon Run Feature
We've got some of our greatest men on the show floor and we've gotten a chance to play through the new Dungeon Run feature in Kobolds and Catacombs. Here's what we've learned.
What is a Dungeon Run?
Dungeon Runs are a new type of single player content for Hearthstone, much like an Adventure. We won't be getting an adventure this time around due to Dungeon Runs but they're very similar in idea though Dungeon Runs have a ton of replayability.
- You'll pick a class to go on your Dungeon Run with.
- After you defeat a boss in a Dungeon Run, you get extra loot to power your deck up.
- Passives: Cards that give you a bonus for your run.
- Treasures: Powerful cards that are added to your Dungeon Run deck.
- Cards: You'll get to pick between themed bundles of cards to add to your Dungeon Run deck.
- There are 48 unique encounters in total, which are further augmented by the variance in cards you play with each time.
- Losing to a boss in a Dungeon ends your current run.
- If you win a Dungeon Run with each of the 9 classes, you unlock a card back!
The best part about Dungeon Runs? They're completely free! You don't even need to have cards in your Hearthstone collection.
We don't know too much about all the bosses yet, but here's what we've learned so far both during panels and from playing.
- Hero Power: 0 Mana - Transform a minion into a random one that costs 1 more.
- Giant Rat
- Hero Power: Rat Race (2 Mana) - Summon two 1/1 Rats.
- Elder Brandlemar
- Hero Power: Dampen Magic (2 Mana) - Put a Counterspell secret into the battlefield.
- Waxmancer Sturmi
- Hero Power which creates wax clones of minions on the field. They're 1/1 copies.
- Room of Traps
- It's one of the hardest encounters out there.
- Due to difficulty, it has a lower chance to show up.
- Battlecrier Jinzo
- His Hero Power is a passive which makes Battlecries trigger twice.
- Hero Power: Freezes a minion for 2 mana.
You get two of these a run and you'll get them after you start to accumulate wins. Their goal is to increase your power. These are the passives that are available on the show floor today with many others being
- Captured Flag - Your minions have +1/+1.
- Glyph of Warding - Enemy minions cost 1 more.
- Justicar's Ring - Your Hero Power is upgraded and costs (1).
- Khadgar's Scrying Orb - Your spells cost 1 less.
- Mysterious Tome - At the start of the game, play 3 random secrets.
- Potion of Vitality - Double your starting health.
- Small Backpacks - At the start of the game, draw 2 cards.
In addition to the passives you earn throughout your dungeon journey, there are also treasure cards. Like passives, you only get two treasure cards per run and they will unlock throughout your dungeon journey. Here are the treasures that were active on the show floor.
- Bag of Coins - Fill your hand with Coins.
- Boots of Haste - Your minions cost (0) this turn.
- Gloves of Mugging - Steal 3 cards from your opponent's hand.
- Horn of Cenarius - Recruit 3 minions.
- Rod of Roasting - Cast 'Pyroblast' randomly until a hero dies.
- Vorpal Dagger - Poisonous. Mega-Windfury (Can attack four times a turn.)
- Wand of Disintegration - Silence and destroy all enemy minions.
- Wax Rager - Deathrattle: Resummon this minion.
- Wish - Fill your board with Legendary minions. Fully heal your hero.
Our expansion guide is up and running for Kobolds and Catacombs!