21.4 Patch Notes - Mercenaries, New Skins, Bug Fixes & Known Issues
Blizzard just published patch notes for tomorrow's patch that will feature a new game mode - Mercenaries, new skins, and bug fixes. There's a list of bugs that will be shipped with the update and will get fixed in a later patch.
Quote from Blizzard
The 21.4 patch, releasing tomorrow, launches Hearthstone’s newest game mode, Mercenaries! The patch also includes some bug fixes and preparations for future updates.
Quite the Roster
Mercenaries is launching with 51 playable Mercenaries! We’ve compiled a list of all Mercenaries who will be playable at launch, as well as all their Abilities and Equipment. The Card Library will hold all this information in a future update. On top of the stats shown here, every Mercenary gets an additional +1/+5 when you fully max them out at level 30, with max Abilities and Equipment.
Keep in mind, this is just a snapshot of all the Mercenaries as they will exist at the launch of Hearthstone Mercenaries. We plan to cover future updates in patch notes and other blog posts, and in the Card Library once it’s been updated.
A Village Comes to the Tavern
With the addition of Mercenaries comes a new way to interact with Hearthstone, in the Mercenaries Village. The Village is the jumping off point for all things Mercenaries, including managing your collection in the Tavern, setting off on Bounties, jumping into the Fighting Pit, and more! You can also upgrade the buildings in your Village as you play, to upgrade their functionality or make them more efficient. Some upgrades are free, unlocked through gameplay, while others cost Gold. At launch, it will cost 900 Gold to fully upgrade your Village: 100 to unlock the Fighting Pit, 200 to upgrade the Travel Point (which unlocks Heroic difficulty for Bounties), 200 to upgrade the Campfire (to add a slot to the Task Board), and another 400 to upgrade the Campfire a second time (to add another slot to the Task Board). You can learn more about navigating by checking out our Village/Collection blog.
Mercenaries Matchmaking and Rating System
The Mercenaries Fighting Pit will have its own, new matchmaking and rating system. This new system is the most complex matchmaking and rating system Hearthstone has ever seen, to account for all the variables in each Mercenaries matchup. And if the perfect match can’t be found, we’ll make one for you with new A.I. opponent technology! Look for an article highlighting and further explaining the new system, soon.
A Note on Quests and Other Known Issues
At launch, most Daily and Weekly Quests will not be compatible with Mercenaries. The only Quests that will be able to be completed in Mercenaries will be those that require you to win games in any mode, and those that require you to take a certain number of turns. In future patches, we will be fixing the Quests that are not working properly, as well as possibly making new Daily and Weekly Quests or adjusting the language of certain existing Quests to include Mercenaries.
Don’t worry, you will still be able to complete your Daily and Weekly Quests in the other modes. On top of that, the new Campfire Tasks in Mercenaries are separate from the Daily and Weekly Quest system, so you can still complete those for even more rewards. You can head to the forums for a list of known issues shipping with 21.4.
Spooky Season is Nearly Here
Preparations for Hallow’s End begin in patch 21.4, with festive box dressing and fun, costumed cosmetic options coming next week. The Fairy Tales Bundle includes fairy tales-themed hero skins for Rexxar, Jaina, Thrall, and Anduin. The Battlegrounds Bundle – Hallow’s End includes a Gala Medivh alternate Bartender and seven costumed hero skins. After you’ve gotten your costume picked out, the festivities will kick off in patch 21.6 (details coming closer to that patch).
Bug Fixes & Game Improvements
- Fixed a bug that sometimes caused the middle of the screen to become unclickable.
- Fixed a bug where Blood Knight would cause Highlord Fordragon to trigger for all minions, regardless of whether they had Divine Shield.
- Changed the name of the 3/3 token spawned by The Beast to Pip Quickwit - The original name being Finkle Einhorn.
- Fixed a bug where, when the Duels Treasure Meek Mastery was in play, and a minion affected by it was Silenced, the minion got healed 1 Health.
- Fixed a bug where minions buffed by the Duels Treasure Avenging Armaments retained their buffs if moved from the board into the hand or deck.
- Updated the wording and punctuation on several Duels cards and effects to be clearer and more consistent with established Hearthstone formatting.
- Fixed a bug that caused players to get stuck in the Boomsday Project and Dalaran Heist single-player content, and cause the game to crash.
- Fixed a bug that caused friends who are online, but not in the Hearthstone client, to appear able to be challenged to a Friendly Challenge.
- Fixed a bug that made you unable to re-challenge a friend after completing a match against them.
- Fixed a bug where having your friends list open while reconnecting to Battle.net would cause the friends list to sometimes not fully populate.
- Fixed a bug that caused the Options menu to be cut off while playing in Practice mode on mobile.
- Fixed a bug that sometimes caused pack types to switch places on the pack opening screen.
- Fixed a bug that incorrectly showed Achievements as completed after clicking through them.
Launch Day Known Issues
Quote from Blizzard
Hello all, we wanted to make you aware that there will be some known issues shipping with 21.4, which we intend to address in future updates. This post will house the known issues prior to launch, in all languages, and another post will be made if any unexpected live issues pop up.
The following are known issues that will be shipping with Patch 21.4, to be fixed in future updates:
- Most Daily and Weekly Quests cannot be completed in Mercenaries. Only quests that require you to win a certain number of games in any mode, or take a number of turns, can be completed at this time. Quests can still be completed normally in the other game modes.
- In Mercenaries, the general rule is that Taunt blocks an Attack, unless the Ability designates a specific target for the Attack (such as “Attack the lowest Health enemy” or “Attack the left-most enemy”). That said, at launch there are a few Treasure Abilities that will incorrectly ignore Taunt when they shouldn’t: Ogre Warmaul, Hysteria, Mass Hysteria, To the Death!, Blinding Rage 3, and The Beast Within 1-5.
- Visual bug with the Diablo Mercenary’s Ability, Apocalypse level 3, combined with the Magma Horn Equipment, showing the wrong damage. The move applies the correct damage.
- Visual bug with the Survival of the Fittest Ability, level 1, not showing the Ability’s Speed. The correct Speed is 9.
- Rexxar’s “Mama Bear’s Claws” Equipment does not buff Mercenaries that are played before Rexxar, or to Rexxar’s left, during the placement phase. This is caused by the effects being read in play order, and from left-to-right. The workaround at this time is to play Rexxar before, and to the left of, any Beast Mercenaries you want him to buff.
- Visual bug where the “upgrade available” indicator will sometimes continue to show after a Mercenary’s Ability or Equipment have been upgraded, even if there are not enough remaining Coins to upgrade that Mercenary any more.
- Performance bug where playing Mercenaries for longer periods (around 1.5-2 hours) will cause lag and performance slowdowns, especially in devices with less RAM. The workaround at this time is to restart the client if that begins.
- Visual bug where some tooltips and pop-ups are clipped off the edge of the screen on mobile devices.
Thanks for your patience, and good luck out there, Mercenaries!