The road to the 2020 Global Finals begins this weekend in Arlington, Texas! Approximately 360 players were invited to compete for their portion of the $250,000 prize pool*. The event runs Jan. 31-Feb. 2, kicking off each day at 7:00AM PT/10:00AM ET/3:00PM GMT/4:00PM CET and will be the first event aired on the PlayHearthstone YouTube channel.
The player base will consist of winners from official Masters Tour qualifying events, current Hearthstone Grandmasters, and previous top finishers in Masters Tour events. Below is a breakdown of Masters Tour stop invites.
Blizzard has doubled both the number of Masters Tour events and the number of Grandmasters being relegated -- making the stakes higher than ever. Top earners from the first 3 Masters Tour events earn the right to replace one of the 6 relegated Grandmasters at the end of Season 1. With two chapters of Galakrond's Awakening recently being released, the players are tasked with evaluating the significance of 19 newly added cards.
*Please note that while we list the prize pool at $250,000, it will actually increase due to the recent announcement of the Dragon Masters Bundle. Sales will continue through February 11th. If the community reaches the goal set forth by Blizzard, the prize pool could increase up to $500,000.
- Venue: eSports Stadium in Arlington, TX
- Dates: January 31st - February 2nd
- Casters: Dan "Frodan" Chou, TJ "Azumo" Sanders, Simon "Sottle" Welch, Erik "DoA" Lonnquist
- Prize Pool: $250,000 base Prize Pool - Increases dependant on Dragon Masters Bundle.
- Format: 4 Decks, Best-of-5 Conquest w/ a Ban
Each match will be played with a 4-deck, best-of-five Conquest Format with a ban. Any participants ending with a record of 7-2 or better are automatically qualified for Masters Tour: Indonesia and Masters Tour: Jönköping.
- Day 1: Five rounds of Swiss pairings. Any players collecting 3 losses will be removed from the field.
- Day 2: Players with at least 3 wins on the first day will advance to Day 2. This will feature four more rounds of Swiss.
- Day 3: The top 8 players head to Day 3 and compete in a single elimination tournament to crown a champion.
The next Masters Tour event will be March 19-22 in Bali, Indonesia at The Mulia Resort and Villas. It will follow the same structure, format, and prizing as the Arlington event. From there, Grandmasters Season 1 will begin sometime in April. Official dates for the Grandmasters Seasons haven't been announced.