Hearthstone Expansion Announcement - BlizzCon 2019 Opening Ceremony
Expansion release date: Dec 11th
Adventure release date: January
BlizzCon has arrived, Blizzard's own convention! We'll be updating this post live with everything that happens within the opening ceremony. You should expect to see brief details on the new Hearthstone expansion alongside a few card reveals from the new game mechanics. More information about the new expansion will then come later on during the dedicated panels.
Note that the Opening Ceremony will be broadcast on all of Blizzard's Twitch channels for free, as well as some of the Panels on the Mythic Stage and all the Esports, but the rest of BlizzCon will require access to a Virtual Ticket. We've embedded the stream down below.
Cards revealed at the What's Next Panel:
Cards Revealed in Announcement Trailer
Opening Ceremony Live Recap
Quote from HearthPwn
- Descent of Dragons is the name of the next expansion!
- The league of E.V.I.L. and the Explorers League chased eachother to Dragonblight!
- More Dragons than EVER before!
- Galakrond Hero card!
- New Key word: Invoke - Play cards with the Invoke keyword several times to upgrade Galakrond.
- Galakrond has a different battlecry and hero power in each of the evil classes!
- Dragon Breath cards: Dragon Breath cards are spells that give you powerful bonuses if you’re holding a dragon.
- Sidequests: Mages, Druids, Hunters, and Paladins can do Sidequests, cards that offer powerful rewards, but are easier to complete than standard Quest cards
- Everyone will get Galakrond for free when the set launches!
- Everyone gets a Legendary Dragon when the set goes live!
- New game mode!: Hearthstone Battlegrounds. 8 player mode that is inspired by the autobattle genre.
- Open Beta of this game mode is November 12th
- When you have the Virtual ticket or prepurchase Descent of Dragons you can play Hearthstone Battlegrounds from NEXT TUESDAY.
Hearthstone Battlegrounds Screenshots:
Who is Galakrond? He's an ancient Proto-Dragon, and he manifests as 5 unique Hero Cards for the League of E.V.I.L. classes: Rogue, Warrior, Warlock, Shaman, and Priest.
You can upgrade Galakrond by playing cards with the new Invoke keyword. You can upgrade him 2 times, where each new form is even more powerful.
- Cards with the Invoke keyword and the five collectible Galakrond cards cannot be generated by random effects, such a Discover.
- If you don’t have a Galakrond as your Hero, or in your hand or deck, then Invoking has no effect. So, if you steal and play an Invoke card from your opponent, you won’t get any benefit from the Invoke effect unless you have a Galakrond.
- In cases where your deck contains multiple versions of Galakrond, such as Tavern Brawls that allow cards from multiple classes, your main Galakrond will be the one that matches your class, if possible.
Descent of Dragons Announcement Trailer
This trailer contains some cards not seen on the Panels (we will have them listed above soon though!) and a nice recap of all the information.
The expansion pre-purchase bundles are on the store. They cost $79.99/79.99 euro and $49.99/49.99 euro
Quote from Blizzard
PRE-PURCHASE DESCENT OF DRAGONS
Purchase one or both of the two pre-purchase bundles available for Descent of Dragons!
Descent of Dragons Mega Bundle
This bundle contains 100 Descent of Dragons card packs, the Deathwing Warrior Hero, the Shattering Card Back, a random Descent of Dragons Golden Legendary card, and early access to the Battlegrounds game mode.
Descent of Dragons Bundle
This bundle contains 60 Descent of Dragons card packs, the Shattering Card Back, a random Descent of Dragons Golden Legendary card, and early access to the Battlegrounds game mode.
Quote from HearthPwn
- Blizzard: J. Allen Brack on the Blitzchung affair: I'm sorry, we moved too fast and I'm accountable. We inspire to bring the world together, when we get it right, the community comes together. My actions will say more about my intent to do better in the future.
- Starcraft: New Villain commander: Arcturus Mengsk
- Diablo: With an amazing cinematic Diablo 4 was introduced! (Check out our sister site DiabloFans for full Diablo 4 coverage!)
- Diablo 4: Back to it's darker roots with the Barbarian, the Sorceress and the Druid.
- Heroes of the Storm: People at BlizzCon or with the Virtual Ticket get the new hero Deathwing for free!
- WoW: Make-a-Wish and We.org will get the proceeds for the Baby Alpaca pet, Dotty, that is new on the store.
- WoW: With a lore shaking cinematic, World of Warcraft: Shadowlands the new expansion was introduced! (Check out our sister site MMO-Champion for full Shadowlands coverage!)
- Overwatch: With a heartwrenching cinematic Overwatch 2 was announced
- Warcraft III Reforged: Everyone at BlizzCon and with a Virtual Ticket get Beta Access, which has just started.
The Opening Ceremony is available for free to those without a Virtual Ticket, as will most of the Panels on the Mythic stage and all of the E-sports. If you want to watch the rest of the show or get the goodies though, you'll want to buy a Virtual Ticket.