No, Expansions are Not Rotating to Wild When Kobolds Hits - How Set Rotations Work in Hearthstone
At this point I personally believe that this shouldn't need to be said, but I've been proven wrong time and time again, so here we go. This is how set rotations work in Hearthstone, StrifeCro. If anyone has friends that don't understand the rotation, send them here to teach them and prevent the spread of misinformation.
- Sets rotate once a year.
- Basic and Classic will always be a part of the core game set which does not rotate.
- Standard format upon rotation is restricted to sets released in two calendar years. (2018 = sets from 2017 and 2018)
- The time at which sets rotate coincides with the release of the first expansion for a calendar year.
- The first set of a year also marks the new name of a "Hearthstone Zodiac" year. (Mammoth, Kraken).
This information is subject to change, but any changes will be listed before the start of a new rotational year. Let's take a look at historical set rotations.
Year of the Kraken
- Started with the release of Whispers of the Old Gods.
- Curse of Naxxramas, and Goblins vs Gnomes cards became Wild only.
- Promotional and Reward sets were also removed.
Year of the Mammoth
- Started with the release of Journey to Un'Goro.
- Blackrock Mountain, The Grand Tournament, and The League of Explorers became Wild only.
- Some cards from Classic and Basic were moved to the Hall of Fame set, a new Wild only set.
Year of the -Insert 2018 Zodiac Here-
- Starts with the release of the first 2018 set.
- Whispers of the Old Gods, One Night in Karazhan, and Mean Streets of Gadgetzan will become Wild only.
- It is possible we could see some other individual card rotations, but nothing has yet been confirmed.
- Things will start out with Basic, Classic, Journey to Un'Goro, Knights of the Frozen Throne, Kobolds and Catacombs, and Set1-2018.
Ben Brode Takes Away Your Deckslots
I need to emphasize that this isn't happening, but with the amount of times we and other sites have posted about the rotation, it seems like a fitting punishment! Especially so when you consider that the decks slots were originally added when set rotations became a thing.
Quote from Ben Brode
Are MSOG , Karazhan, and Whispers rotating the moment kobolds hits or at the beginning of the year? Doing a card review soon and I need some context.
I’m taking away your deck slots
Key Cards We're Losing in the Next Rotation
Here are some pretty great cards we're going to lose when things rotate next year. Goodbye Patches the Pirate!
Are there any cards that you're looking forward to seeing being removed from Standard, or any leavers that make you sad?