Forgotten Torch was a Major Mechanic in League of Explorers
Ben Brode was on a stroll last night on reddit and brought to our attention an interesting fact from the League of Explorers development process about shuffling cards into your deck.
- Shuffling cards into decks was a major mechanic before Discover became the focus.
- A Priest card with the mechanic was 2 Mana for "Draw a Card and Shuffle an Awesome Book into your deck".
- Awesome Book drew 3 cards for 2 Mana.
- The only cards that survived were Forgotten Torch, Elise Starseeker, Entomb, and Ancient Shade.
Quote from Ben Brode
Funny story about Forgotten Torch - it was actually one of the major mechanics of League of Explorers until we focused in more on Discover.
That, and it was really the best design of the cycle. I think we had a Priest card that was (2) Mysterious Book - Draw a card, shuffle an Awesome Book into your deck.
(2) Awesome Book - Draw 3 cards.
There were a couple other shuffle-ins, too. Only Torch, Elise, Entomb, and Ancient Shade survived.