The minions of hell grow stronger.
The Diablo 20th Anniversary Tavern Brawl: Release Date and Everything We Know
Warning: This article contains datamined information. Information presented here may change before launch.
Warning: The article contains spoilers. Enter if you dare! Moooo.
In the recent Hearthstone patch which brought Mean Streets of Gadgetzan to us, a new Diablo themed card back was discovered which was tied to an upcoming Tavern Brawl. This Tavern Brawl is called the "Dark Wanderer Tavern Brawl" and is going to be a part of the Diablo 20th Anniversary Celebration, something which will be celebrated among many of Blizzard's titles.
This post outlines everything we know so far about the Brawl.
Release Date - January 2017
Just like the other Diablo celebrations in Blizzard titles, this one will be running next January. But wait - there's more!
We believe the release date of The Dark Wanderer Tavern Brawl will be on Tavern Brawl Week 82, which should translate to January 4, 2017! Why do we believe this? What do you mean you don't blindly trust us? Okay, fine.
A file in the Hearthstone client which contains information on card backs has an interesting field called "DATA1". This field when used with seasonal card backs refers to the season number, and in other cases it simply remains 0. In the case of the Winterveil Card Back though, this was set to 27..
Why is 27 of interest? Well that's because the Gift Exchange Tavern Brawl was Brawl Week #27!
The DATA1 value in the CARD_BACK.XML file is 82. This means Brawl Week #82. So yeah, the DATA1 value when used with SOURCE field value of tavern_brawl refers to the first week the brawl will be active on. The More You Know!
Reward - Secret Level Card Back
Moo. That’s right. You heard me.
Like the Winterveil Brawl of 2015, you will likely have to win a match to get the card back.
There are many cards which were added in the last patch which are Diablo themed. Oh yeah, and a bunch are secrets!
- Diabolical Powers - Summon a random Imp.
- No brawl-specific imps exist, so they must be collectible ones.
- So Many... - Whenever a Hell Bovine Dies, draw a card.
- Weapon Rack - Deathrattle: Current turn player gains a random weapon.
- Lightning - Deal 3 damage.
- Summon Guardians - Summon two 2/4 Guardians.
- Summons: Guardian - At end of your turn, deal 2 damage to the enemies opposite this minion.
- Moo... - Summon 3 Hell Bovines. Give all Hell Bovines Taunt.
- Summons: Hell Bovine
- Stampede - Summon 2 Hell Bovines. Give all Hell Bovines Charge.
- Summons: Hell Bovine
- Twisting Nether? - This doesn't look like Twisting Nether...
- Phase Change: The Portal Opens - Through the Nether and into...
- Discarded Armor - Deathrattle: Current turn player gains 5 armor.
- Chest of Gold! - Deathrattle: Current turn player gains gold!
- Enigmatic Portal - At the start of next turn, your hero is transformed and sucked through the Twisting Nether.
- Visions of the Amazon - Secret: When your opponent summons a minion with Battlecry, Summon a Mirror Image for both players.
- Visions of the Assassin - Secret: When your opponent summons a minion with Stealth, All minions equip a dagger.
- Visions of the Barbarian - Secret: When your opponent summons a minion with Charge, THUNDER FURY!
- Visions of the Crusader - Secret: When your opponent summons a minion with Taunt, change all minions' attacks to 1.
- Visions of the Necromancer - Secret: When your opponent summons a minion with Deathrattle, destroy it.
- Visions of the Sorcerer - Secret: When your opponent summons a minion with Spell Damage, Summon 2 Guardians.
- Visions of Fate - Secret: When your opponent takes lethal damage... save him.
- Visions of Hate - Secret: When both heroes have 15 or less Health, BRAWL!
- Visions of Valor - Secret: When your opponent summons a Legendary minion, give all minions Windfury.
- Visions of Knowledge - Secret: When your opponent's hand has 9 or more cards, reduce the cost of all cards in both hands to (1).
Those are some serious hell bovines behind our wandering friend.