Winners for our latest beta key giveaway have been private messaged. Login and check your inbox to see if you've won!
BlizzCon 2013 Recap
Another fantastic BlizzCon has unfortunately ended, but there was lots of great news about Hearthstone so let's take some time to take it all in!
Open Beta to Begin in December
The news that we've all been waiting for! For those that have not yet gotten in to the Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft beta test, your time will soon come! Rob Pardo announced in the BlizzCon opening ceremony that the open beta would start sometime in December. We still don't have an official release date, but open beta is being considered the soft-release due to the free-to-play nature of the game.
Blizzard did say they will be handing out more beta opt-in waves after BlizzCon, so there's still a chance you'll get access to the beta before December. Good luck!
Hearthstone Coming to iPhone and Android
Rob Pardo also announced during the opening ceremony that our favourite desktop game would be releasing on the iPhone after the iPad. But wait, there's more! If you act right now, Hearthstone will also be coming out on Android devices! The mobile launch of Hearthstone is being targeted around the second half of 2014.
BlizzCon 2013 Exclusive "Mystery Minion" Announced - Elite Tauren Chieftain
If you purchased a physical or virtual ticket for BlizzCon 2013, you will be given a special in-game golden card! Much like our friend Gelbin Mekkatorque who is a reward for make a real money purchase during the Hearthstone beta test, a limited edition golden version of Elite Tauren Chieftain will be given out to all ticket holders. If you didn't pick up a physical or virtual ticket, don't worry; You'll still be able to craft a normal version of the card for 1,600 Arcane Dust. Check out the announcement video of the card to see it in action.
Fireside Chat - The Hearthstone Development Panel
The Hearthstone development team had a wonderful panel on day one of BlizzCon which gave us a look into of how Hearthstone came to be and more importantly, what we can expect from it in the future. Blizzard posted a recap of the panel, and if you'd like to see our longer notes on it, you can find them here!
Originally posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
Hearthstone is out in full force at BlizzCon! Lead Designer Eric Dodds and Technical Designer Ben Brode brought you the latest in news for Hearthstone including card changes, balance analysis, and upcoming features. Interested in learning about what’s in store for the future of Hearthstone? Read on to get an overview of what we covered at the panel!
Hearthstone: A Look at Today
- Going first is still only slightly better than going second.
- Top-level class balance looks pretty good, looking at 3 different days in October shows a different #1 class each day.
- 44% of our current 3-Star Master players have spent no money on Hearthstone.
- Over one million players have been invited to the closed beta for Hearthstone.
Next Patch or Two
- Mind Control’s cost is changing to 10, up from 8. Mind Control can be frustrating to play against, and is dominating play at the lower ranks. This should allow opponents playing versus a Priest to have a couple more rounds to make use of their high cost minions before they have a sudden change of mind.
- Starving Buzzard’s Health is changing to 1, down from 2. Hunters were very strong against Druid, Mage, and Rogue in Copper through Platinum leagues, and this change should help those match-ups.
- Unleash the Hounds can blow you out in a single turn, without any minions on the table. We’re going to take a look at this card to see if there are some changes we’d like to make for the next patch. We haven’t decided on a direction yet.
Ranked Play Changes
Exciting changes are coming to Ranked Play in Hearthstone! Our new system makes your path to move up in the rankings more transparent, and gives top-level players more ways to differentiate themselves from each other.
- Each month, all players restart at Rank 25: “Angry Chicken”
- Players will be matched against players of similar rank.
- Win a game, acquire a star!
- Acquire enough stars and you’ll rank up!
- Each rank has its own icon and medal.
- Win streaks may give additional stars.
- At higher ranks, you'll lose a star if you lose a game.
Beyond Rank 1 is a special rank: Legend.
- Once you hit the Legend rank, it cannot be lost until the season ends.
- Legend rank will have a big number in the middle of the icon – this tells you your exact rank in your region!
This won’t be ready at the launch of our new ranked system, but eventually, if you participate in ranked play during a season, there’s a reward awaiting you: Special card backs!
- Card backs are acquired through participating in a ranked play season.
- Each month holds a new card back for your collection!
One of the most exciting reasons to try Ranked Play is the epic Golden Heroes. After you’ve played 500 Ranked games with a specific class, you unlock the animated golden hero for that class. Whenever you play that class, it’ll automatically be the golden version of the class rather than the regular one. Each Golden hero has its own special animations, just like the other Golden cards!
Additional Features on the Horizon
- Reconnecting to a game in progress
- Even more spell effects and animations!
A Bit Further Out
Hearthstone on the Go!
- Hearthstone for Android, iPhone and Windows 8 Touch
- Hearthstone will have expansion sets, each featuring packs full of exciting new cards!
- To supplement expansions, we plan to release Adventures! These will come with a smaller set of cards that can be unlocked and will provide new strategies to explore.
Watch the full event, which includes exciting Blizzard developer panels and other featurettes, by purchasing a Virtual Ticket today. We hope to see you at BlizzCon!
We’re always interested in what you have to say and what you’re looking for in Hearthstone! Whether it’s more features or particular themes you’d like to see, we’re closely monitoring your feedback in the beta and into release. Give us your feedback on the Hearthstone forums here!
The Hearthstone Innkeeper's Invitational
Blizzard's first Hearthstone tournament was a massive success with over 100,000 viewers watching live on Twitch, and many more on the DirectTV stream. Artosis took the tournament, defeating Kripparrian in a great series 3-2. Congratulations Artosis! We covered the event live here on HearthPwn by collecting data on the decks that were used, and have the partial decks available below. Please note that we were only able to get partial deck lists of four of the players because the first day's games were not streamed. If Blizzard releases full deck lists later on this week, we'll be sure to showcase all of them!
|I Let the Dark In||Turn Eight||The Indecisive Priest||Add Fuel|
|ek0p Warrior||Control the Drakes||No Tirion||Hipster Mage|
|The Artosis Curse||Cixah's Miniatures||Realz the Mastermind||What's Yours is Mine|
Another contest, another failure to grab a beta key
Better luck next time!
Thanks dude :) I really want a key so much!
Wait, they are saying "After you’ve played 500 Ranked games with a specific class, you unlock the animated golden hero for that class.", so you don't actually have to win them? Chain gaming / concede incoming!
I did state at the top of the post that we sent private messages to the winners. We have never done a winners list because history shows that people who did not win end up harassing the winners. Much better if that information stays private.
well at least everyone will be able to play soon.