Just a year after Blizzard decided Ice Block was so toxic for the game that they removed it from Classic, condemning Mage to the sorry state it has been for the past 2 expacs, they add the effect back in the game... I don't get it...
1) This is a lot less powerful than Ice Block. While you get some benefit from it applying on your turn and not allowing your health to be set to one, you have to predict when to play it and burn three mana at a critical point of the game vs whenever you have free mana like Ice Block.
2) This doesn’t have near the synergy that Ice Block did.
3) A huge problem with Ice Block was that the were so many ways to generate it draw it allowing you to reliably play 3 or 4 in a game.
4) Paladin doesn’t have near as good of burn tools to capitalize from buying just one more turn.
5) It is only in standard for about 16 months.
Even if this were literally Ice Block for Paladin it would be nearly as busted and frustrating because of the other aspects of the class.
That's a better Ice Block in a class with good weapons (letting you swing without loosing health) and a ton of healing and lifestealing.
It's hilarious how some people defend this reprint and claim that Ice Block was a problem in the same post. One being classic doesn't matter. If you genuinely think that Ice Block was a problem, at least have the guts to admit that it will be the same problem. For a year and a half. But it will still be the same problem.
As for random generation, there was already a NEUTRAL card that gave random Paladin cards. Why do you think Blizz will never make a card that will give or discover random Paladin spells? They did it for Secrets already.
Plus Ice Block could be played around by making the Mage take damage on his turn or playing any of the anti-Secret tech. This one has no counterplay. It's going to be even more uninteractive.
Will see play if control Paladin gets some wincondition. You can save your AoE for one additional turn, possibly set up some nasty combos late in the game thanks to being able to ignore the board, and against certain OTK decks you can buy some free turns. It even acts as healing if you have a weapon equipped.
Probably not worth running for any other archetype.
Id say ppl overhype this card, like they did with rebuke.
This taking a ( or even two?) cardslot in a Paladin deck makes it way harder to play than a secret in Mage. ( Because of less good carddraw) Not sure if people even run this in OTK Paladin ( probably as a on of) , since DK Uther Pally is aiming to do the combo anyways before the opponent plays his ( Shudderwock ,Malygos etc).