Welcome to our Standard Discussion forum. This is your area for discussion of Hearthstone's Standard format -- their primary format and the mode used in the competitive eSports scene.
Please use this area to discuss anything and everything related to Standard. We ask that all posts in this forum are kept constructive in nature and civil. Non-constructive or harassing topics will be deleted by the moderation team and the responsible user will be issued a formal warning. You can view the site's full Rules & Guidelines here.
Threads that consist of only an image, a single line of text, or one word replies are not considered thought-provoking or constructive. Post to "rage" about happenings in-game are also not constructive and should be placed in our designated Group Therapy thread.
The cards available in the Standard format are restricted to the newest two years of expansions. Also included is a Core Set which changes each year when the first expansion launches. Core set cards are free to all players and are earned by progressing each class to level 10.
When navigating decks on HearthPwn, Standard decks can easily be identified by these logos:
The current Standard rotation consists of the following sets. Several new expansions and mini-sets will be added throughout the Year of the Gryphon and the next set rotation will occur with the first expansion of 2022.
- How often does the Standard rotation occur? Rotation occurs once per year, with the release of the year's first expansion. At that time, Standard updates to set from the current and previous calendar year. The game's Core Set will also reset at that time.
- How does the Core Set rotation work? At the beginning of each new Hearthstone year, the Core Set will be replaced with a different collection of 235 new and existing cards. Unlike expansions which rotate to Wild, cards rotating from the Core Set cannot be kept by players and will not appear in their collection.
- What is the "Year of the Gryphon"? Each Hearthstone year is represented by a mythical beast. The name changes with the first expansion of the year during Standard rotation.
- Can I play a Standard deck in the Wild format? Yes, you can. The Wild format consists of your entire collection regardless of release date.
- Are Standard cards labeled in My Collection. Not exactly. When viewing My Collection or building decks, there are some visual clues on screen as to whether cards are Standard or Wild. However, cards are not marked for either format. You can sort your collection to show cards from one format or the other.
- Are eSports tournaments played in the Standard format? Yes. Hearthstone's Masters Tour, Grandmasters, and Global Finals are all played in the Standard format.
- Will rotated cards even return to the Standard format? With the introduction of the Core Set -- Yes. The Core Set will consist of new cards, previously rotated cards, and reimagined versions of cards each year.