It's very hard to just buff priests outright, because they are insanely good versus control decks. This is, sadly, somewhat irrelevant since almost the entire meta is about snowballing from turn 1, something priests fights very badly in standard.
If you buff them in the other direction, you'll need to remove some of that potential versus control.
I think giving them back what they lost with Standard mode. Lightbomb was key for minion based decks and Zobmie, Deathlord, Velen's Chosen for aggro decks. With all of this stuff priest never had #1 deck so i think this wouldn't be problem.
With a lot of single target priests is good against control decks. But it's hearthstone meta was never slow.
We need spells that heal for the amount of damage done and spells that heal for each enemy killed. AoE does not work because its too late or board is instantly refilled or there are multiple ways to deal 10+ damage on an empty board as early as turn 6. Heal does not work, at all.
How does this buff priests? Reno decks are not a problem for priest, as they are usually control which is priests strongest matchup
It buffs it by giving it a workable legendary that every other Agro deck isn't playing. Reno decks are an issue because it allows an Agro deck to be more reckless knowing they have a full heal backing them up. Much like a warrior with 50 armor acts far differently to threats.
One of the Priest Class' weaknesses is its hero power. Or rather, the fact that the hero power, especially early in game, doesn't actually achieve anything. How many times has a Priest with nothing else to do heals himself when he's already at 30 Health, or on occasion, heals his opponent when they're at 30 Health. The hero power needs to do something even on these occasions. How about when healing himself while at maximum Health, then maximum Health increases by 1? And the same for a fully healed minion? Not exactly earth shattering but it would be a step in the right direction. And it would fit with the ability of certain spells and minion abilities already in the Priest toolbox.
Thank you for ideas! All Shadowform supporters; “1 mana, 2/3 charge, can't attack hero” (by Lighi87); nice cards in #16 (by Palaswe). In my opinion - Reno Jackson is not a point. Dark Cultist, Lightbomb and Deathlord were amasing cards! We need smth like this (exactly these cards barely come back).
And, yes, if they dont give us independent card draw - give us good taunt to protect Cleric!
Priest needs more early-game minions with high health to make a threat against Aggro decks but not a big deal against Control/Midrange decks, like these: (notice that class cards should be stronger than neutral cards)
- Common 2 mana 2/4 minion: Taunt
- Common 2 mana 3/4 minion: Battlecry: heal your opponent for 5 health
- Rare 3 mana 1/3 minion: gain +1/+1 for every time you heal a character
- Rare 4 mana 3/2 minion: reduce every opponent's minions' attack by 1 and gain that many for +1 health
- Epic 3 mana 1/4 minion: Taunt with gain +1 health for every time it takes damage
- Legendary 5 mana 4/6 minion: Your minions lose their attack stat (can't be lower than 1) instead of health while taking damage
Maybe some spells that interact with opponent's early-game minions and play with the attack/health factor instead of buffing your own minions or stealing or AoE removals, like:
- Rare 3 mana: Reduce all enemy's minions' attack by 2
- Common 2 mana: Heal a character by 2 health, if it is still damaged, summon a 2/3 minion (similar to Blood to Ichor by Warrior)
- Rare 4 mana: Your spells double the healing effects this turn
- Epic 4 mana: All enemy's minions have 1 health this turn