This deck is made to defeat the Heroic boss Gluth at the lowest (dust) cost possible. Feel free to make adjustments and add rares, epics, and legendaries that you see fit!
Mulligan for: Acidic Swamp Ooze (priority). Water Elemental is also very important in this matchup so consider keeping it if the rest of your hand is decent for the early game. Other decent keeps are: Mirror Image and Unstable Ghoul.
Unique AI cards:
- 4x Jaws (Heroic Difficulty - same but with 3 attack instead of 1).
- 2x Enrage
- 2x Skeletal Smith
- 1x Necroknight
Ability - Decimate - 0 mana: Change the Health of enemy minions to 1. (This ability is always used at the start of Gluth's turn, if you have a minion on the board).
Weaknesses - he has no area of effect spells to clear your board (he has to use his minions or the weapon Jaws to clear). The most overpowered part of this boss is his weapon - this is countered effectively by destroying it, freezing Gluth and blocking his attacks with small taunts. You can also somewhat easily avoid buffing the weapon by prolonging the game, using some freezing aoe spells and/or healing. He also plays a lot of Zombie Chows for some additional great healing.
This deck shares a lot of the basics of the popular Freeze Mage deck. As mentioned above, to surivive you have to prolong the game by freezing his minions and clearing the board at the right times. You will hit, or almost hit, fatigue when this fight is won. Damage is dealt by attacking with minions when possible, fireblasting Gluth and using Frostbolt and Ice Lance for some nice finsihing burst (hopefully you have not been forced to use these cards defensively).
Most often then not Gluth has Jaws in his starting hand, which is one of the reasons why Acidic Swamp Ooze is so important in your own starting hand. This can snowball out of control since he starts with two creatures with Deathrattle on the board: Unstable Ghoul and Zombie Chow. Always play Acidic Swamp Ooze (on turn 2 if you have it) and he has played his weapon.
If you can not destroy his weapon, avoid buffing it by freezing his board with Frost Nova and Cone of Cold. If you are lucky you will draw the ooze, if not let him swing at you. The healing from the Zombie Chows will bring you back to (pretty much) full health when you finally clear the board. Clearing the board can be done in several ways, but the most common (in my experience) is chaining together some exploding Unstable Ghouls. (Using your own and/or his ghouls).
Some final thoughts and tips: Avoid flooding the board (2-3 minions are good) too much since he plays 3x Unstable Ghoul and 1x Abomination and these cards will wipe your board. Mirror Entity will probably get you some value in form of a taunt or "the dream" a Skeletal Smith, which gives you another chance to destroy his weapon. Sometimes Frostbolt and/or Ice Lance can be used to freeze Gluth just to give you some more draws (for example; Mirror Image or Acidic Swamp Ooze can then save your life). However, the biggest damage potential you have is the 2x Frostbolt and 2x Ice Lance and will most likely be used for the final (and fatal) damage.
No more food for you, Gluth!
I will keep posting my "Commons and Basics Only" - decks week by week for every part of the expansion. Check them out and good luck!
The Arachnid Quarter
- Anub'Rekhan (http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/80013-commons-and-basics-only-and-naxx-anubrekhan-heroic)
- Grand Widow Faerlina (http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/80281-commons-and-basics-only-and-naxx-grand-widow)
- Maexxna (http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/80056-commons-and-basics-only-and-naxx-maexxna-heroic)
The Plague Quarter
- Noth the Plaguebringer (http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/81068-commons-and-basics-only-and-naxx-noth-the)
- Heigan the Unclean (http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/81132-commons-and-basics-only-and-naxx-heigan-the)
- Loatheb (http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/81242-commons-and-basics-only-and-naxx-loatheb-heroic)
The Military Quarter
- Instructor Razuvious (*Coming soon*)
- Gothik the Harvester (*Coming soon*)
- Baron Rivendare (*Coming soon*)
The Construct Quarter
- Patchwerk (http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/90145-commons-and-basics-only-and-naxx-patchwerk-heroic)
- Grobbulus (*Coming soon*)
- Gluth (http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/90302-commons-and-basics-only-and-naxx-gluth-heroic-f2p)
- Thaddius (http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/90968-commons-and-basics-only-and-naxx-thaddius-heroic)
- Sapphiron (*Coming soon*)
- Kel'Thuzad (*Coming soon*)