Knights of the Frozen Throne Update
The deck is still top tier. You don't need to change the deck list. If you want to, you can add cards like Saronite Chain Gang, Rattling Rascal or Thrall, Deathseer, but none of these is required and I would not recommend to add Thrall, because your hero power actually gets weaker most of the time. If you want to learn the deck, I highly recommend to watch my old videos, because the play style is still the same and most of the opponents are still the same. So far the expansion didn't change the meta that much. Here you can see me playing the deck yet again:
You guys are awesome! Here is the coaching video with new TFT content:
Hey guys, my name is Tommy, I have reached legend several times, make YouTube videos, stream on twitch and give free coaching sessions. I do think this deck is top tier right now. If you have the cards, you should give it a try. Please like and share the guide if you like it and feel free to ask any question:
- For 20 likes, I will add the Mulligan. -> Added!
- For 50 likes, I will give a free coaching session. The winner of the coaching session is: papadich. He will get notified now and if he doesn't answer I randomly choose someone else.
- For 100 likes, I will describe all the match ups in detail. -> Coming soon!
HOLY SHIT! Thanks for the amazing support guys! I am super busy with work and writing the guide and making the coaching will unfortunately take ~2 weeks. I am still finishing the video for you. Make sure to come back for the updated content here! You deserve it! :)
Why do I request likes for content? These guides and videos take a good amount of my time. I do not get paid for this and am willing to give content out for free, but only if it gets read by many people. The only thing I kindly request for writing this is that you spread the word and make others read it. Likes help to make the deck popular and hence more people will read it. I do not want to spend hours for writing text that nobody reads or cares about.
Video playlist including proof
Final Boss is now available:
In the video series you can see how I hit legend with the deck. Make sure to subscribe or come back another day, because not all episodes are released yet. You can find the complete playlist here. Please note that the deck list developed over time.
From rank 2 on, I started playing this version of the deck without Aya. If you really want to learn the details of the deck, I highly recommend to watch all videos. The decks are very similar. After Part 9, I only played the new version:
The first games, I played a slightly different version (with Aya). Here you can find part 1:
Please note that the deck list developed over time. The first games, I played a slightly different version (with Aya). This is the final list I used to for pushing to legend.
- Bloodsail Corsair: The early game of this deck is nuts, due the Pirates, Jade Claws, Fire Fly and Primalfin Totem. You brutally spam the board setting up for Flametongue Totem, Spirit Echo and Cult Master. The weapon destruction is even nice in the late game against Atiesh and may combo with Spirit Echo.
- Evolve: Combos super well with Doppelgangster, Cult Master, Thing from Below and Stonehill Defender. Remember that you can attack and even damage your minions before using this!
- Fire Fly: Early game and board spam.
- Patches the Pirate: Early game and board spam. Remember to use him withFlametongue Totem.
- Devolve: To counter Murlocs, Token Druid, Spikeridget Steed, Tirion Fordring, Edwin VanCleef etc.
- Flametongue Totem: Goes nuts with Tokens, Patches and Stonehill Defender and is a totem for Thing from Below.
- Jade Claws: Early game and board spam.
- Maelstrom Portal: Board clear that goes well with Devolve and produces another token. Remember that it can give you chargers.
- Primalfin Totem: Early game, board spam and a totem for Thing from Below.
- Mana Tide Totem: Card draw and a totem for Thing from Below.
- Spirit Echo: This simply generates more value than Aya Blackpaw ever can do. Spirit Echo allows you to get extra 0 Mana 5-5 Taunts, extra Stonehill Defenders, extra Tokens and sometimes even extra Doppelgangsters. If you play this card for pure value against Control, you can actually outvalue almost any deck (Don't believe me? Watch my video against Control Priest here). If you play it to get extra taunts against Aggro, you may survive just long enough while Aya doesn’t do anything. How to play Spirit Echo? Well, this depends a lot on the match up. The slower the game is, the more greedy you want to be. Against Pirate Warrior, an extra Fire Fly and Taunt Totem will be superb if there is nothing to play for 3 Mana. Against Midrange Paladin, you at least want to an extra Thing from Below and ideally an extra Stonehill Defender. Against a Control Priest you can go for pure value and copy multiple Thing from Below, Stonehill Defender and even Doopelgangster.
- Stonehill Defender: Together with Evolve this is your main late game value. You are usually looking for Thing from Below or depending on the match up Primordial Drake, Earth Elemental, White Eyes, or Bog Creeper. Remember that Hot Spring Guardian may give you heal.
- Cult Master: I am 100% convinced that 1 Cult Master is correct over 2x Mana Tide Totem. This card alone has won me multiple games. Often times it is enough to play it when you can draw one card with it. Its crazy when you hide behind taunts or draw 3 or more cards. It also goes well with Evolve.
- Jade Lightning: Removal and more tokens.
- Bloodlust: The main finisher of the deck.
- Doppelgangster: This you want to combo with Evolve, but in the worst case it still gives you 3 minions for Bloodlust. In value match ups this is nuts with Spirit Echo.
- Thing from Below: Getting this card cheap allows you to finish opponents like Jade Druid quickly and survive against aggro like Pirate Warrior. The key is to know when you can be greedy and get it even cheaper next turn and when its already strong enough to play it for 4 or 5 Mana.
- Always keep: Fire Fly, Primalfin Totem, Bloodsail Corsair.
- Keep Jade Claws unless you know its a slow match up for sure.
- Keep Flametongue Totem with Bloodsail Corsair against Paladin, Druid, Mage and Priest if you are going first.
- Keep Devolve, if you know its Murloc Paladin, Priest, Token Druid or any deck running Doomsayer. If you have Devolve, you can keep Maelstrom Portal as well against Token Druid.
- Never draw Patches the Pirate!
Pirate Warrior: Slightly favored for you. Board control is everything thing there. Try to avoid damage from your hero as good as possible. Devolve is mainly for a big board with Frothing Berserker, Southsea Captain or Bittertide Hydra. Try to push the Totemic Call here and there to get a discount on Thing from Below. Once you control the board and are still >12 HP, you have won. Remember that Stonehill Defender can discover Hot Spring Guardian for heal and that you only put your opponent below 12 HP if you know you can handle the extra damage from Mortal Strike. Pirate Warrior game in this video:
Taunt Warrior: Slow and steady pressure is the key here. Your goal is to damage the opponent a little bit every turn. If you dealt 5 damage already, you dont play more minions unless you set up for lethal next turn. Overextending into a Brawl, Sleep with the Fishes or Primordial Drake can loose you the game. Make sure to push Totemic Call whenever possible and get high value out of Spirit Echo. Cult Master should at least draw 2 cards in this match up. Devolve should be used for huge taunts and sometimes Acolyte of Pain. If you can, play around Deathwing.
Token Shaman: Like most aggro match ups, this one is completely about board control. The player who builds up a board for Bloodlust first, wins. If you are ahead, you dictate the trades. Make sure to not safe the coin too long. Cult Master is great, because you trade all your minions anyway. Make sure to never leave any totem up that can punish you. Don't waste Jade Lightning on Stonehill Defender, but use it for Mana Tide Totem and Flametongue Totem. Although I always keep Bloodsail Corsair, I would only play it turn 1 if I have Flametongue Totem to follow up.
Silence Priest: A match is in the video above!
Control Priest Video:
Both Druids in these videos:
Both Druids are in the video above!
Miracle Rogue: The Rogue usually cannot deal with a wide board, because they don't have AoE, hence, you have to focus on making the board wide which is anyway the game plan of Token Shaman. If you are ahead, make sure to save Devolve for Edwin VanCleef. Doppelgangster + Evolve almost always wins you this match up, but I would never keep the combo, because you will loose the early game and just die. The match up is highly depended on the card "burgled" by Swashburgler, Shaku, the Collector and Hallucination so don't blame yourself if the opponents finds perfect answers like Lightning Storm. Some game play:
Did I miss any match up? Let me know in the comments what you are interested in!
Here you find possible replacements for Legendary or Epic cards in the deck.
- Patches the Pirate -> Tar Creeper or Argent Squire.
- Spirit Echo -> Tar Creeper or Argent Squire or maybe Hex.
- Maelstrom Portal -> Lightning Storm