Greetings, travellers, I'm Subrezon, a Legend player from Germany. Creative deckbuilding is what I enjoy the most, and my joy peak is always before a new expansion. So here I am, with Subrezon's Theorycraft Series 2! As with MSoG, I will build one deck for each class that is both interesting and potentially good. I will generally avoid self-building decks, like ones based around Quests or Elementals. But, Open the Waygate is sooo incredibly inspiring, that I ignored this rule for this one! Greet your new champion - OTK Exodia Mage!
What is this deck?
This deck relies on getting a combo that wins you the game. No, seriously. If no Ice Block is present for the enemy, he is dead as soon as you pull this one off. The combo is:
- Use 6 cards, generated by other cards like Shimmering Tempest, Primordial Glyph, or Babbling Book to get the Time Warp card into your hand. You also combine Shimmering Tempest with Steam Surger to get Flame Geysers.
- Play 2x Sorcerer's Apprentice for 4 mana, then use 1x Molten Reflection for 2 mana to get one more apprentice, then play Time Warp for 2 mana. (You float 2 mana, but it doesn't matter)
- Play Archmage Antonidas for 7 mana and another Molten Reflection on the apprentice for 1 mana to get 4x Sorcerer's Apprentice in total + a Fireball.
- Enjoy limitless Fireballs.
You stall the game using the removal from your deck and generated spells, cycle towards your combo and finish the game instantly with Exodia!
Why this deck?
Because OTKs are awesome! And because I've done Secret Mage already before MSoG... didn't shoot that time, but I hope this will!
Is this going to be competitive?
Maybe. This is a very crude version of the deck, it is very hard to tell how much card generation should be in it and how to balance draw/removal in it. But fully polished this deck can actually be a control-style deck with a reliable win condition vs. Jades! And all other control decks. Except self...
So, I hope you enjoyed this one, so stay tuned for more! Don't forget to drop a +1 and to check out all of Subrezon's Theorycraft Series 2!
Subrezon's Theorycraft Series 2:
Note 1: there are some cards that can be used in this deck, that are not in this list. Loot Hoarder, Novice Engineer and Kabal Chemist are things being suggested to me. These are probably good enough for this deck, I will test the upon release.
- -1 Cabalist's Tome: too many cards in hand, too clunky to use
- -2 Mana Bind: Spells aren't likely to be used against you when you have no board (thanks to @kuroneko2370 for pointing that out)
- -1 Arcanologist due to the smaller number of Secrets
- -1 Acolyte of Pain: clunky cycle
- -1 Frost Nova: a little too situational, plus a lot of removal can be gotten through spell generation
- +1 Ice Block for survivability and Secret count for the remaining Arcanologist
- +2 Loot Hoarders for draw, chosen over Novice Engineers due to smaller removal count
- +1 Shimmering Tempest, +2 Steam Surger as the new and more consistent spell generation
Update 2: front page! Under "All" category! Astonishing!
Thanks to you guys for all the support, criticism and attention you gave this deck!