Renolock is deck that can stand against any deck with good percentage to win, maybe freeze mage is a problem, but if there would be more freezing mages eater of secrets can solve that problem.
Reno Jackson is best card concept ever introduced. And I love it, sadly this type of deck is anti-control, and this is the only thing I don't like about Reno decks, couse I want to play slow control games wit thinking about every step.
I've played tons of games with Renolock (probably best combination, but rogue or mage are good for reno too). And with changing meta deck with reno gotta change too. This is also good as moment of suprise, nobody expects reno these days and nobody knows what kind of cards you use
Reno Jackson - Thank you Mr. Obvious, great card giving you full health right after your aggro opponents runs out of gas.
Lord Jaraxxus - Anti-Control minion, pretty crucial to have, with 3/8 weapon and giving you heropower that spawns 6/6 for 2 mana, there is no deck that can beat that. Jaraxxus can be dead card if opponent is OTK type.
- Twisting Nether - Hard goodbye for everything on board, use it very carefully, but don't wait for full board to use that.
Acidic Swamp Ooze - With hand still full don't use Harrison Jones, Ooze is countering Doomhammer, Lord Jaraxxus, Hunter's weapons, and Gorehowl (I know Fiery War Axe is pain in the ass, but Gorehowl is real target), now countering Medivh, the Guardian every Renolock gotta have this,
Imp Gang Boss - Best 3 drop for Warlock
- Shadowflame, Hellfire, Demonwrath - Must have in aggro meta, Shadowflame allows combo with sylvanas
- Siphon Soul - Best healing spell
Important cards in deck
This is the point where beauty of renodecks is. Diversity... every Renolock can be different and combination of card it's infinite. I present to you version of mine Renolock. It has only a few tech cards that can't be played mindless right after you get them to hand. And even that few cards are still tested by me, with paper, pen and monitoring how long I got them in hand, how usefull they are and how often they got value I want.
Another auto-include in deck are:
- Twilight Drake - great card with strong synergy with this type of deck
- Dark Peddler - good stats with battlecry to combo with Brann Bronzebeard, giving you card back that works with Twilight Drake and Mountain Giant
- Mortal Coil - that 1 dmg needed to kill minion with extra draw for one mana is great
- Shadow Bolt - your only single target spell dmg
- Kazakus - finally another card rewarding you for playing 1 copies of every card, so autoinclude in renodeck, great against every matchup.
- Sylvanas Windrunner - Great card working with Shadowflame, Shadow Bolt+Mortal Coil, great six drop that lowers opponent's IQ for 50 points
These cards are present in almost every solid RenoLock decks. Now I will try to show my point of view why I add this or that card.
I stoped playing combo Leeroy Jenkins, Power Overwhelming, Faceless Manipulator, sometimes I really needed to use PO but without this card combo is pretty weak, Even without using still gotta wait for 3 pieces +Emperor to use this. Combo often plays Alex to prepare your opponent to combo, but this is very inconsistent like freeze mage for example.
I tryed just Leeroy, still good with combination of PO, can be used as surprise finisher, works with Cult Apothecary or Shadowflame. It's not that bad and it's decent card in deck, but very often is used in combo with another card and this is what I wanted to change, so this was end of Jenkins in my deck, but again... works there very good even without combo.
Current meta is about shaman and anti-shaman decks - warriors, sadly there are almost no other decks, and I want with them fight board not just hopping to get enough removing spells. With that wish I started changing my renodeck.
Rest of the deck
These card can be replaced pretty well but I suggest to replace them with same value card - Ragnaros for Alex for example
- Mountain Giant - after Molten Giant nerf many players swap Molten for Mountain, I used it instead of Molten even before nerf. You will play it everytime you get it to hand not waiting until your hp's are low enough, so opponent will use some hard removal for this and next turn you can play Ragg without scare he will be countered. Warlock is great for Mountain Giant you can play turn 4 8/8 and this is op, good combination with taunt makers and Shadowflame, also gets first strong removal and that's for no-ability card perfect. Can be replaced by everything you want, Leeroy Jenkins for example.
- Ragnaros the Firelord - giving you a chance to defeat freeze mage, killing strong minions without loosing yours (rng involved sadly), but another strong minion of this deck.
- Emperor Thaurissan - Surviving of this minion longer than one turn is giving you high percentage of win, almost everybody is doing bad trades using strongest removals etc. to deal with that guy. You only need his servise once for getting better position... combination with sylvanas and spells working with her ability, Jaraxxus for 8 so you can summon 6/6 same turn and full hand discount is just great.
Cairne Bloodhoof - I think he is good minion, there are hot discussions if 2*4/5 is worth for 6, I think it is, it's great drop without thinking if I should hold him in my hand. Working with Barnes or Power Overwhelming, Void Terror or Abusive Sergeant.
- Brann Bronzebeard - Working well with Battlecry minions in this deck, every minion gets value from combo with him, except BGH, and for 3 mana 2/4 practically with taunt is good.
- Stampeding Kodo - Killing Bloodhoof Brave, Doomsayer, Acolyte of Pain without getting them value is great, killing aggro minions with this beast is satisfaction too.
- Cult Apothecary - Only one worth heal against developed board, can be played with hp tight situation without healing opponent like Refreshment Vendor does.
- Defender of Argus - Taunting your strong minions give you extra value, or giving you better chance for good trades
- Youthful Brewmaster - Autoconcede combo Reno+panda, but you can also return silenced minion or save value minion from combination freeze+doomsayer... against shaman there is good combo with ooze to counter doomhammer, returning BGH has value too, or barnes return... in nutshell it's good and works well in this deck
- Abusive Sergeant - Better trades, can combo with BGH to kill your sylvanas or destroy opponent
- Big Game Hunter - In control decks still good card with value against 4 mana 7/7, Rag etc. works well with panda or abusive
- Doomsayer - counter first turns of aggro, can be used as extra 7 health for Void Terror, requires a bit experience to use
- Void Terror - New card :O without nothing it's 3/3 for 3 mana, it's not bad. Thanks to this you won't lose value of Power Overwhelming or Abusive Sergeant or silenced Doomsayer. Do great combo with Sylvanas Windrunner, stealing minion with summoning 8/8 for 9 mana is good in my opinon. Works well with Brann Bronzebeard (just combo brann+terror give you 7/11 for 6)
Every missing card could be replaced by Bane of Doom. I don't like that card, but sometimes RNG could be on your side.
1.11. Update - -Big Game Hunter +The Black Knight - Ranking with control warrior with Soggoth or with Midrange Shaman, DiscardLock or druid with 5/10 taunt. They are not playing 7/x anymore. There can be some kind of heavy control deck with Alexsz, Geddon, Ysera, Rag .... deck but this is only one type of deck... I will try that change maybe Abusive will be next out who knows, maybe abusive+BGH on almost everything I named is better than The Black Knight.
Seems ok, after blizzcon there is enough of midrange shaman, druids or dragon warrior with sticky taunts. I think about throwing out Doomsayer cause super agresive decks are out of meta for now.
7.11. Update: +Big Game Hunter -The Black Knight
Returned not enough value
-Abusive Sergeant, Doomsayer, Cairne Bloodhoof, Big Game Hunter, Barnes
+Mistress of Mixtures, Dirty Rat, Big-Time Racketeer, The Black Knight, Kazakus
Trying new cards and thinking about Madam Goya
4.12. Update: -Dirty Rat +Earthen Ring Farseer
10.12. Update: Midrange style to Combo style with higher number of tech cards. Want to see how good this deck will be in this expansion.
Taking closer look on Second-Rate Bruiser. I want to know what is better - this or Cult Apothecary
Tactic and Muligan
First, I want to thanks for that: http://www.hearthpwn.com/news/1807-deck-spotlight-lets-play-renolock and this push me to do the rest of this deck. In that spotlight there are comments about why abusive and not N'Zoth, sorry guyz, but maybe read first... I describe here and in comments why I don't think N'Zoth is good in Renolock... it's reactive card and you have to wait and let some Deathrattle minons die. It's 10 mana card and getting it from mulingan is in midrange shaman meta cancer... That's reason why I don't like that kind of RenoLock, but you are the players... do whatever you want, that's what I play and I just want to share it with you. Don't get me wrong, I respect criticism but reasons I describe are enough for me. If someone will write, ok I tried Abusive and it's not that good as I supposed, I put Wisp in deck and works better, fine that's something.
Ok, screw that I will do rest of my work.
RenoLock is mostly defensive deck with lots of answers, waiting for his moment. That's why Thijs deck is so attractive, remove this, remove that, bam! for 20HP gg. I played that version too, many games were won by that deck but.... it's not actually mine deck and I got problems with meta. I think everyone does, because Reno was suddenly out of meta and zoo was in. I think this was caused by style deck was played... just waiting, healing yourself and hoping for combo. I really like more proactive version with sticky minions with good trades.
That's point of this deck, you have something to play almost everytime and it's not tech card waiting for right moment. So you are highly active and still with something on board waiting.
Everything depends on draw of course, but some rough tactic you should stick up is still same. Don't be scared Life taping even against zoo, you need to get your answers fast.
Zoo, Aggro Shaman or Hunter, Ay Ay warrior, Tempo mage, Pirate rogue, Divine paladin, etc.
Survive their push... there is enough board clears in combonation with high HP minions. Wait till they lose their hand, and you can start to push. It's not atractive match, sadly really depends on draw cause of short time you play.
It's probably best from gameplay side, everyone can win this match, you got enought removals for his 2-3 lategame strong minions and enough time to get Reno. This matchup is where this version of RenoLock really shines, not so many really expensive cards but enough to outnumber his removals with Jaraxxus waiting for his empty hand. Use your removals with thinking turns ahead. Think about using Reno turn later and risk a bit more, this is where your mind is really needed.
It's best matchup for RenoLock, nobody can control 6/6 for 2 mana forever. This is why Jaraxxus is so needed in RenoLock, he wins agains control decks even without his 3/8 weapon. But of course sometimes you lose even against this type of decks, but you are really favorited... just play slowly, don't get Brawled, but give him reason to play it and when there will be 4 times 6/6 he will miss it. With Tyrande hype there are some priests, but to be honest nobody wins with it :P :D
There is 9 class and every can be build for lategame as well as for pushing your face from turn one. It is important to watch trends in meta and change muligan with corelation with that trends. If you got problems with specific decks or with meta itself, change some cards to counter it, that's great on renolock, and I love this.
Shaman, there, there, everywhere... current meta is shaman with Spirit Claws and finally with sort of "combo" not just throwing... 3/2+3/4 in turn 3 while you still fighting his 3/4 from turn 1 with coin... I like this far more and this matchup gives me joy to play nothing is really sure and you can win as well as shaman.
Warriors to counter Shaman mostly control, but sometimes there is some really smart orc with pirates. Control warrior is slow deck C'Thun style, N'Zoth or something like clasic Ysera/Baron Geddon style and it's important to figure it out really fast, cause Ysera really needs that Siphon Soul to keep for her. Try to play minions like you want him to play Brawl, it will help you in late game with 6/6s on board.
For every of this deck types it's good to keep: Reno Jackson, Acidic Swamp Ooze (against control expect Gorehowl and keep Ooze for that) Doomsayer (Barnes will not spawn him), Imp Gang Boss, Mortal Coil, Dark Peddler, Hellfire, Abusive Sergeant, Demonwrath (but keep just one board removal)
Against control you are playing carefully but want his removals out and countering his big minions and then droping Jaraxxus.
I will change this with day priest will become something more then lul class.
Mostly miracle or maly rogue playing almost everytime, against this matchups reno can played even when you are on 20 hp... Leeroy with powering his attack or malygos with +5 to spell dmg is thing that can counter renolock. Make sure you got Reno in hand with removal when he drops thaurisan. Key is to push his face and make him playing his dmg spells to kill your minions and you.
For every of this deck types it's good to keep: Reno Jackson, Doomsayer (Barnes will not spawn him), Imp Gang Boss, Mortal Coil, Dark Peddler, Hellfire, Abusive Sergeant, Demonwrath (but keep just one board removal), Defender of Argus, Shadowflame
With good starting hand you can try to keep Twisting Nether to counter his big concealed minions.
Divine shield, Murloc combo, nothing else I think... Against divine shield it's important to got hand with 5 or less cards because Divine Favor is a thing. Murloc combo is just waiting letting his murlocs die and waiting for two anyfin cards to kill you. Both archtypes must be pushed from begining with cheap cards and with board removals. Keep Shadowflame for first Anyfin and Twisting Nether for second (if you didn't die) but try to not to come to this point. Combo decks aren't played that much to be scared from this but if you meet them, there is really big problem with killing them.
For every of this deck types it's good to keep: Reno Jackson, Doomsayer (Barnes will not spawn him), Imp Gang Boss, Mortal Coil, Dark Peddler, Hellfire, Abusive Sergeant, Demonwrath, Defender of Argus, Shadowflame, Cult Apothecary, Barnes
With hunter being faster and faster it's important to let hunter lose his steam and then pushing your own minions. Aggro and midrange are both strong with good hand otherwise htey are quite bad with nothing to play and nothing to develop.
Malygos is problem for every control deck, don't be scared to push him they often wait for something good to play, be active and push them to defensive plays. Token druid is weaker than maly, good only with really good hand, don't be scared from token druid, just be patient and remove his plays.
Mage is strong, freeze, tempo, midrange... Tempo with good draw can be countered just by good draw from your side. Freeze is even bigger problem cause he is immune and you are life taping your HPs down. Hope for Rag in that case. If it's tempo, do everything to counter his 4 turn presure, and if it's freeze push him hard but don't drop everything from your hand just to get wiped by his doomsayer
With bad starting hand you can keep also: Shadow Bolt
With good starting hand keep: Stampeding Kodo that counters almost every play by mage.
If discard lock, just counter his 1/3 imp and councilman that's it, you win, with really really bad draw you can lose this, but without really bad draws you are ok. Reno vs Reno is about thinking some turns ahead keeping Twisting Nether for N'Zoth version or pushing him when it's combo version, if it's not combo or something crazy don't be scared to drop Jaraxus. But Reno is really challange.