Hello everyone, I'm BMT360. This is my first deck that I'm posting here, so take it easy. I'm here to share a deck that I've had great success (26-13) with so far at Diamond 5 and up and I'm currently cruising through the Diamond ranks and will probably hit legend at some point during the next sessions. I've hit the legend rank the past two months after taking a bit of a break with only DH as I wanted to get the golden hero, which I've now done.
So let's talk about how this version differs from the typical tempo DH:
1) My version is intended so that I have strong value throughout the length of the game. I never want to run out of steam. I've found that cards like Beaming Sidekick, Bonechewer Brawler, and Guardian Augmerchant are extremely nice in the early few turns, but then they lose value and become pretty much useless later on. I've actually found that cutting those cards has worked out better for me because I can't stand drawing them late.
EDIT FOR VERSION 2: With the rising presence of Hunter, we've got the keep some damage off our face, so adding two Bonechewer Brawlers felt perfect for that purpose.
2) My deck runs 2x Burrowing Scorpid. This card has a lot of flexibility because it allows you to deal two damage anywhere, and if you decide to kill a minion with it, it gives you an untouchable 5/2 which you can use to take over the board the following turn or push face damage. Priests and Warriors are pretty much the only classes that can deal with this (while stealthed) but I find that they usually don't try to clear it on it's own unless they need to in order to stay alive. It also combos well with Skull of Gul'dan and can be that extra two damage you need for lethal. It also can hit the annoying Faerie Dragons that those Highlander Hunters run that you would prefer not to attack with your weapon or hero power.
3) This deck also runs 1x Blade Dance. I'm actually quite surprised this card was never used as it is very cheap for its strong effect. With the Twin Slice "nerf" (nerf in quotes because I actually feel like the card is stronger now), it combos extremely nicely and I find it gives you a strong advantage against other DHs, Hunters, or Pirate Warriors.
4) Lastly, I run 2x Cobalt Spellkin. This card is DIRTY when played in a DH deck. By playing it, you get two cards that are either Twin Slice, Mana Burn, or Consume Magic which can all be extremely useful in any matchup. If you play a couple of Spellkins, you can get like 5 or 6 twin slices which when combo-ed with Warglaives of Azzinoth can be an easy win. And of course, those cheap spells work great with Altruis the Outcast.
Here's my proof of the deck's success rate - https://imgur.com/a/NP9FnVZ
And proof of being an experienced, golden DH - https://imgur.com/a/MVXm95O
I'll continue to update the list if I make any changes. Have fun and if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions please let me know below or feel free to add me on NA: BMT360#1693. Let's make the best possible DH deck we can for this current meta. :D
Sometimes keep: Frozen Shadoweaver, Chaos Strike, Vulpera Scoundrel. If you have the coin, it's reasonable to keep Satyr Overseer, but unless you have played Umberwing on turn 2, Satyr won't be able to be played until 4. If Eye Beam is on the left side of your hand, you can keep it, otherwise get rid of it. I don't think I ever keep Eye Beam unless I'm playing another DH, but I can see potentially keeping it mainly because it's probably the most useless card in this deck in the late game. I can see keeping Kayn Sunfury against Priest or Mage where you need to try to finish the game early before they unleash their late game stuff. If playing DH, Highlander Hunter, Rogue, or Pirate Warrior, Burrowing Scorpid might be useful. If you can manipulate your hand so that your cheap cards are on the outside, you can keep Altruis the Outcast against Spell Druids, otherwise you'll want to try to push damage as quick as you can.
Card Replacements - Note that these replacements are NOT as good as the one in the deck list.
- Kayn Sunfury can be replaced with any kind of silence, such as Ironbeak Owl or Maiev Shadowsong. I can also see replacing it with Evasive Wyrm though that my be a bit expensive for this deck. Consume Magic has also been used by members of the HS community and it's been successful as well.
- Metamorphosis can be replaced with another Vulpera Scoundrel because you often discover Metamorphosis from it. (VERSION 2.0 DOES NOT RUN METAMORPHOSIS)
- Vulpera Scoundrel can be replaced with Spectral Sight or Eye Beam. I am not sure if this is the best replacement for this card so please leave a comment if you discover something that's working for you.
- If you did not purchase the Galakrond's Awakening adventure and therefore don't have Escaped Manasaber, I recommend you insert back 1s Frozen Shadoweaver and 1x Eye Beam back in it's spot.
VERSION 2.0 (PRE-SCHOLOMANCE EXPANSION NERFS)
Justification to Version 2.0 Changes:
- With the rising presence of Murloc Paladin, Highlander Hunter, and Totem Shaman, Bonechewer Brawler is a good way to prevent taking too much face damage early in the game. Forcing your opponent into the taunt is a good way of regaining board control via your weapons and other one drops.
- With the decline in other Demon Hunter decks, having two Frozen Shadoweavers is not necessary anymore. But I do find the card useful as it's a 3 drop for 4/3 is strong stats. It's also useful as you can freeze minions on turn 3 to ensure you can get a stealthed Burrowing Scorpid.
- Warglaives of Azzinoth is a crucial part of this decklist - Now it costs 6 after the nerfs and when we can't play it on turn 5 it's quite disappointing. Well... actually, not anymore... Welcome the Escaped Manasaber! Now you have a variety of strong turn 5 plays assuming you get Escaped Manasaber down on 4. You can play your Warglaives of Azzinoth, or Glaivebound Adept + Hero Power to get the effect, AND Skull of Gul'dan if you need card draw.
Original Cobalt/Scorpid Tempo DH List (For Reference)
With only a small sample size, I have found that version 2.0 works slightly better after the nerfs. However, if you still prefer the original list. You can find a screenshot (here).