PSA: You can find me here: https://www.twitch.tv/yoshi_angel/
It's my first time posting deck here, as celebration for reaching legend for the first time.
Deck undergo many variations during my journey, and here is my final list - strongest variation I have come to after oh so many games. I hope you will enyoy more detailed deck guide with bigger overall data!
Let's have a slight retrospection before I shaped my deck to final form.
Version 1.0 (Day 1) contained:
- Rush package and surprise burst/big board removal: Wrathscale Naga, Command the Illidari, Coordinated Strike and Hulking Overfiend
- Pre-nerf Altruis the Outcast and Bad Luck Albatross.
- Also Ashtongue Battlelord, Raging Felscreamer and Blade Dance.
Smooth sails - 13W -1L to rank 4
After that I had some hiccups:
Version 2.0 (Day 2 and 3) had to happen:
- Cut back and forth Battlefiend for Ur'zul Horror
- Replaced Ashtongue Battlelord for Earthen Ring Farseer
- Experimented both with Fel Summoner and Flamereaper
- Tried Imprisoned Vilefiend for early board control
And for next 2 days that's how it went - couple of wins, couple of loses - stuck at rank 2 and 3 going back and forth - no edits would push me past those magic ranks.
Version 3.0 (Day 4 - Final)
Overnight I had a couple of thoughts how I could improve my deck. Also I have met another Highlander Demon Hunter player on ladder and he suggested me a couple of changes. (@Shoutout to kinghazza22 - he suggested getting rid of Hulking Overfiend)! Taking his advice, implementing my thoughts and adding a bit of Tempo DH package (my worst winrate matchup) did wonders for my deck - managed to breeze into legend and keep winning there!
- Cut Altruis the Outcast and Bad Luck Albatross. Both are too slow after nerfs and Altruis don't have enough support of cheap cards in deck.
- Added Blazing Battlemage instead of Ur'zul Horror - just better!
- Soul Cleave instead of Blade Dance - second one was too clunky to setup and 1st one grants another way to heal also having board removal in it - thats very important!
- Cut whole rush package Wrathscale Naga,Command the Illidari,Coordinated Strike and Hulking Overfiend. Indeed that demon was terrible reactive card - not much DH like.
- Added much of tempo DH power - crafted amazing Warglaives of Azzinoth, kabum power of Metamorphosis, Wrathspike Brute as "showstopper" and "Big Red Button" - Chaos Nova (as replacement for Altruis, + sometimes you just want to "press" one card and wipe the board with it.)
Demon Hunter - [20 Games, 7W - 13L, 35% WR] - This match is just... arrrgh. Tempo has advantage over you and since 99% of ladder DH's are tempo.... Newest version of my deck keeps equal footing though, all comes down to draws/who can output more damage from hand and board combined.
Druid - [11 Games, 9W - 2L, 82% WR] - Easy matchups both for spell and big varations - For 1st one keep your AoE in hand and build board before his Glowfly Swarm. If you clear the 1st one, usually game ends in your favor. For big one - he also wants to ramp, letting you build free board, and upon clearing his 1st Strength in Numbers turn, you are pretty much set.
Hunter - [12 Games, 8W - 4L, 66% WR] - He tries to rush you down, you try to rush him down and stay alive. Look for and keep any healing methods and Zephrys. All hunter games ends in 5-6 turns so don't keep late game cards in hand, you won't survive long enough.
Mage - [6 Games, 4W - 2L, 66% WR] - Easy matchup, both Highlander and Spell variations. Unless he cheats absurd high rolls with Dragoncaster or with Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron, you should win. Beware of Deep Freeze - if you won't have answer for it, "vengeanance will never again be yours".
Paladin - [9 Games, 4W - 5L, 44% WR] - 4 Wins vs Libram Paladin, 5 Losses vs Murloc Paladin - this deck is just...bollocks. Also biggest counter so far for my deck. Vs Libram - don't overdevelop the board, he has a lot of clears for it. Biggest threat - Libram of Hope - be sure to have answer for it.
Priest - [22 games, 14W - 8L, 63% WR] - Matchup I used to be most afraid of and also most prevalent on the ladder. His biggest weakness is lack of card draw, so if you force most of removals and stick Dragonqueen Alexstrasza or big Nethrandamus on board, you win. There are many variations right now but keeping Consume Magic and Zephrys the Great is best way to win.
Rogue - [18 Games, 16W - 2L , 89% WR] - No words needed, this deck just mops the floor with Valeera. She has nothing against Alex/Nethrandamus turns. Don't let her develop board - that's how I lost two games. Keep Consume Magic in hand to answer early Edwin VanCleef.
Shaman - [3 games, 3W - 0L, 100% WR] - All 3 of them were Totem Shamans. Keep clearing his board, don't let him develop totems. Voila.
Warlock - [8 games, 3W - 5L, 37% WR] - Most of the games were before Sacrificial Pact nerf, still very tricky and uneven matchup. Dont overcommit on board, have answer for his Galakrond turn and do your best.
Warrior - [2 games, 1W - 1L, 50%WR] - Very rare encounter, keep your golden pokeball for it. Seriously - both games vs Egg Warrior archetype, don't let him develop the board. Need more matches to say something for sure.
Keep in mind that those games were played across 10 ranks, and with different deck variation - with final version as conclusion from whole journey!
Pay special attention to your cards with "outcast" mechanic. You never want your Skull of Gul'dan to be buried between two high cost cards in the middle of your hand! Spectral Sight and Crimson Sigil Runner are good to keep if they're in outcast spot or you can activate them fairly quick. Raging Felscreamer + Priestess of Fury can be huge deal if you can pull it - usually when you go second and get 2 early game minions. Zephrys the Great is usually always worth keeping.
Demon Hunter - You need strong early game. Focus on: Battlefiend, Blazing Battlemage, Umberwing, Twin Slice, Satyr Overseer and Mo'arg Artificer for body. Also good to keep: Immolation Aura, Netherwalker, Aldrachi Warblades, Eye Beam and Soul Cleave. Keeping Consume Magic is not worth.
Druid - Usually he will ramp up, so you can easily develop board in early turns. Focus on: Satyr Overseer, Netherwalker, Battlefiend, Sightless Watcher, Illidari Felblade, Warglaives of Azzinoth. Staples vs Spell Druid - Immolation Aura, Wrathspike Brute. Consume Magic best targets: most buffed minion with Ironbark and Scrapyard Colossus.
Hunter - 5-7 turns deathrace. Ditch all late game stuff. Focus on: Aldrachi Warblades, Twin Slice, Earthen Ring Farseer, Mo'arg Artificer, Soul Cleave, Eye Beam. If you have tech: SI:7 Infiltrator, Acidic Swamp Ooze. Consume Magic best targets: Kobold Sandtrooper, Augmented Porcupine, Teron Gorefiend.
Mage - Best class to keep Priestess of Fury and Raging Felscreamer combo. Safely ditch all tech cards, focus on dealing as much damage to her as you can. Warglaives of Azzinoth, Metamorphosis and Glaivebound Adept are important here, as with her lack of early game minions, she will try to clear/freeze anything you drop. SI:7 Infiltrator if you have him. Keep Consume Magic in case of turn 2 Astromancer Solarian.
Paladin - If matched vs murloc paladin - pray for his disconnect. Otherwise - Libram is pretty slow, you can deal with anything he throws and good chunk of his deck is removal. Because of that focus more on drawing to have answers, rather than trying to rush him down. Keep left-most Illidari Felblade. Coilfang Warlord is effective vs Libram of Hope.Consume Magic target: Minion with Libram of Wisdom on and Murgur Murgurgle.
Priest - Consider keeping your Nethrandamus on hand. Keep all your early game minions - they will probably get AoE'd down. Keep left-most Skull of Gul'dan. Zephrys the Great and Consume Magic really shines here. Use Netherwalker to fish for big demon - usually Priestess of Fury. If games prolong for more than 8 turns - try to bait out Plague of Death and then try to stick Nethrandamus or Dragonqueen Alexstrasza. Good practice is to throw Dragonqueen Alexstrasza and keep her outcomes in hand.
Rogue - One of strongest class on ladder, and matchup that is most interesting to play. Valeera can easily deal with solo minions so you must focus on her biggest weakness - lack of ways to remove wide board. Try to clear as much stuff you can with with your hero, instead of trading with minions. Work to mantain your board - but also manage your health! She's usually done if you manage to land Nethrandamus/Dragonqueen Alexstrasza, same time being off her lethal range. Apart from usual early game, look out for: Chaos Strike, Eye Beam and Earthen Ring Farseer - they will help mantaining your board. You should be proactive early game and try to chunk away as much health from her as you can - she has no way to heal and you have a plenty of ways to hurt her. If you can force her to go defensive, thats a good sign that match is going your way. Keep Consume Magic to answer her "Ezwin VanCleef" (Edwin VanCleef)
Shaman - Big chance now you will fight vs Totem Shaman. Focus everything on killing his turn 2 totem. Mulligan for: Twin Slice, Immolation Aura, Chaos Strike, Umberwing, Aldrachi Warblades, left-most Eye Beam, Blazing Battlemage and Battlefiend. If you deny his turn 3 Totemic Reflection and keep building board meantime, you are all set. Keeping Consume Magic is not worth.
Warlock - You will probably play versus deck that is designated to destroy you. Even after Sacrificial Pact nerf, he still has tools to deal with anything you throw at him. Your best bet is to draw as much early game as you can, and try to exhaust as much of his removal as you can. If you land Nethrandamus and Dragonqueen Alexstrasza after both of his Plague of Flames it should be enough. Keep Zephrys the Great to answer his Galakrond, Azeroth's End, if you can't finish him before. Consume Magic is not worth keeping, no good targets.
Warrior - Fought him 3 times over 100 games. Can't really say much, keep your standard early game package, Eye Beam is worth keeping and Chaos Nova will deal with 90% of his minions. Try to remove as many of his minions as you can (safely!). Play around (Rampage and Battle Rage. Dont overcommit on board (Risky Skipper).
- Dragonqueen Alexstrasza and Zephrys the Great - Fundaments and my first crafted legendaries - worth every dust spent!
- Nethrandamus - Very versatile legendary - can bait for removal, reload after Alex, create insane board. Try to play him after you stack him between 8-10 - keep in mind that 9 and 10 mana minion pool is not that huge and you can expect certain minions. Dropping a 9 stacks Nethrandamus can surprise you with King Krush ;)
- Priestess of Fury and Skull of Gul'dan - two insanely strong DH cards. Can't imagine a single DH deck without a copy of those.
- Warglaives of Azzinoth - a craft I waited too long on. This card is just bonkers.
- Twin Slice and Consume Magic - versatility of these are too big to pass on.
- Aldrachi Warblades - a must have. Ain't no demon huner around without Warblades
Demon Hunter package
Battlefiend, Crimson Sigil Runner, Netherwalker, Umberwing, Sightless Watcher, Blazing Battlemage, Satyr Overseer - Strong early game cards. Pretty much self explanatory except Netherwalker - this card is very strong vs Priest matchup, as it can generate another big demon threat that needs a removal.
- Illidari Felblade - High attack and potential free trade when cast as outcast.
- Raging Felscreamer - 4/4 body, with possibility to drop Priestess of Fury on turn 5 or for 5 mana.
- Glaivebound Adept - 4 dmg with high attack body and condition that is very easy for DH to met - also potential finisher.
- Coilfang Warlord - answer to many problems and also leaves strong body after.
- Chaos Strike - Punch and draw. Enough said.
- Spectral Sight - Everytime try to cast it with outcast effect. Efficient and cheap.
Sustain and AoE
- Eye Beam - Very strong if in outcast spot, otherwise just strong :)
- Soul Cleave - Usually heal for 4, clear the board for 3.
- Immolation Aura - Cheap early game threat eraser.
- Chaos Nova - Lowers health value of all minions on board by 4. Ta-da!
- Metamorphosis - sometimes just casting it makes enemies concede.
- Earthen Ring Farseer - Body, heal and turn 3 minion that doesnt die to 2 dmg AoE.
- Wrathspike Brute - Just a strong taunt with anti token passive. Also deals dmg to face.
- Mo'arg Artificer - Boosts your spells, strong body to drop on turn 2 - can also backfire - don't drop him when you got strong board!
- Body Wrapper - If you had to use Zephrys the Great early, this card gives you potential to shuffle him back or reload any late game threat. Double value vs priest.
- SI:7 Infiltrator - If you keep getting mages and hunters, denying their board clear from Explosive Trap/Flame Ward is game changer.
- Dragonmaw Poacher - Valuable vs Big druid, or to clear Mage Malygos, Aspect of Magic and leave 8/6 body.
- Hoard Pillager - Reloading Aldrachi Warblades or Warglaives of Azzinoth is always profit, but you get weak body for it.
- Evasive Feywing - Annoyance to deal with for most classes, especially if you keep their board clear.
- Traveling Healer - Another heal and survives AoE/needs at least one hit before hand - very decent.
- Acidic Swamp Ooze - Replaces Blazing Battlemage.
- Blowtorch Saboteur - Makes demon hunter cry.
- Kayn Sunfury - Adds more power to deck, but raises it's cost.
- Coilfang Warlord - dropping it on empty board may force your opponent to spend 2 removals, in better case - leaves you with 5/9 taunt.
- It's not necessary worth to drop Sightless Watcher on 2 mana/early game. Sometimes it is better to keep him in hand, and use him to search for answers in mid or late game - especially when you can pair him with card draw.
- This one is important: Watch how many copies of single card enemy has played. Knowing that you are vs another Highlander or not is huge deal.
YOU ARE NOW PREPARED
(to enter legend)
Edit 1. Expanded tech and replacements section.
Edit 2. Added "Thoughts" section.
Edit 3. Tidied up "History" part for better readablity
Edit 4. Added "Mulligan".
Being greet today by this little notification was a real hearth-warmer for me! My initial goal was to get around 20 upvotes....and here I am at main page, boasting 80+ upvotes and reading appreciation comments (disaproving ones too!) - Here is my thanks to you guys for making it happen, so.....
Thanks! - Gracias! - Merci! - Danke! - Grazie! - Spasiba! - Arigatō! - Tack!
PSA: You can find me here: https://www.twitch.tv/yoshi_angel/