Sons of Arugal (video from Witchwood day 2)
The Game Plan - Tribe-based, Mid-range Tempo Hand Mage.
Step 1. Establish board control, with strong minions, and start putting on pressure:
Step 2. Back up early game board control with strong synergies and bodies:
Step 3. Continue board domination while retaining a full/ large hand size:
- The Archmage Arugal draw synergy. He combos perfectly with Book of Specters, Research Project, and Stargazer Luna.
- Elemental Card Value. Elementals make more cards, such as Fire Fly, Pyros, and Servant of Kalimos.
Step 4. Take advantage of internal synergies for tempo swings (smallest to biggest):
- Twilight Drake, a 4/10 for (4) mana allows for some great control and consistent threat.
- Scaleworm, a Rush 5/4 for (4) mana, is crazy powerful, it's nearly a fireball but can also often remain a body on the board afterwards.
- Leyline Manipulator, discounts a large portion of the hand, allowing for crazy turns.
- Astromancer, large swing from hand synergy.
- Mountain Giant, having a large hand means you can normally play Giant for 3-4 mana.
- Luna's Pocket Galaxy, in order to overwhelm the opponent (when draw is considered).
- Standard: turn 1 Fire Fly, turn 2 Book of Specters, turn 3 Mountain Giant. - 9/10 worth of stats and a 9 card hand by end of turn 3 (2 cards are The Coin and Flame Elemental).
- Stronger: turn 1 The Coin + Archmage Arugal, turn 2 Book of Specters, turn 3 Mountain Giant. 10/10 worth of stats played, and a fantastic hand for Leyline Manipulator but you discard a card.
- No Discard: turn 1 The Coin + Archmage Arugal, turn 2 Research Project, turn 3 Mountain Giant. Same as above, however you only have ten cards in hand if your opponent doesn't kill Archmage Arugal on their turn 2 (unlikely).
There are lots of variations, but the earliest 'Player 1' can play Mountain Giant is turn 4.
- Always Keep: Fire Fly and Book of Specters.
- Against Aggro: keep Tar Creeper.
- Against Control: keep Research Project, Faerie Dragon and Pyros.
Guide for specific cards:
- Archmage Arugal, if you go turn 2, keep, just for the chance you can play turn 1 uncontested. If you go turn 1 only keep if you are against control and really only if have Fire Fly in hand.
- Mountain Giant, only keep if you have are going second and have Fire Fly and Book of Specters (and/or Archmage Arugal).
Day One (refining mid-range):
- -Twilight Drake x2 - As people have rightly pointed out, it disrupts elemental synergy, not worth it
- -Blazecaller x2 - The tempo of this card is great, but not enough
- -Cauldron Elemental x1 - The few times I got this to work it was amazing... but I was wrong after all.
- +Glacial Shard x2 - Such a useful minion, especially for protecting high value minions, not for turn 1.
- +Questing Adventurer x2 - Yes, really! All credit to: 'dyonthegrey1', who showed me the way.
- +Servant of Kalimos x1 - Turns out that this is more valuable than Bonfire Elemental (Just!)
Day Three (going aggro):
- -Arcane Intellect x2 - Intellect was a bad play without Archmage Arugal.
- -Nightmare Amalgam x2 - Amalgam was underwhelming a good turn 3, but otherwise unplayable.
- -Bonfire Elemental x2 - Servant was better than Bonfire and Bonfire was only good on turn 5,
- +Shimmering Tempest x2 - Now that there is a lower cost focus, this is good as it adds a card to the hand.
- +Knife Juggler x2 - As there are now so many 1 drops, brought in so that the deck performed better against paladin.
- +Igneous Elemental x1 - Igneous brings two (worse) cards to hand but these can be discounted and has a 2/3 body, had the same effect on giant as Arcane Intellect.
- +Cult Master x1 - Master draws like crazy, replacing Bonfire.
Day Four (back to mid-range):
- -Glacial Shard x2 - I found a better minion for the current dynamic.
- -Shimmering Tempest x2 - Arlght turn 2 elemental, underwhelming for the rest of the game.
- -Knife Juggler x2 - really good against paladin but not against anything else, taunt works just as well.
- -Igneous Elemental x1 - Only really good if your going for an aggro, small minion build.
- -Cult Master x1 - Only really good if your going for an aggro, small minion build.
- +Mana Wyrm x2 - great one drop, works with: The Coin, Book of Specters, Primordial Glyph, and Flame Geyser... Also doubles the chance of having good early game against paladin.
- +Vicious Scalehide x2 - Great at hampering aggressive decks, and otherwise is a ping with a body and 1 life-steal.
- +Stonehill Defender x2 Decent taunt, that messes up aggro and discovers, want to keep on mulligan against Aggro.
- +Voodoo Doll x1 Decided to tech in one, to help a little bit more vs contol.
- +Bonfire Elemental x1 - Bringing mid-range draw back and a big body.
- +Countess Ashmore x1 - Draws Vicious Scalehide x2 and Pyros or Voodoo Doll, all things that you want out of the deck and in the hand in the late game.
- +The Lich King x1 - To shore up the late game, to play Jaina. Also generates cards.
Day Six (multi-tribe, is much more powerful, but may require tweaks):
- -Mana Wyrm x2 – Good 1 Drop but now with only 1 spell in deck, has no place.
- -Vicious Scalehide x2 – Lack of synergy.
- -Primordial Glyph x2 – Space in deck has decreased.
- -Voodoo Doll x1 – Better slots filler in either Polymorph or Spellbreaker.
- -Zola the Gorgon x1 – This was really hard to do, but have to make cuts somewhere.
- -Steam Surger x2 – Didn’t quite make the cut, but I may change my mind, it is fantastic.
- -Countess Ashmore x1 – An experiment that didn’t pan out. I hope you guys appreciate the fact that I crafted this card just to try this for you.
- -The Lich King x1 – Too high cost, for too low impact.
- +Faerie Dragon x2 – Really nice, well stated and strong effect Dragon.
- +Nightmare Amalgam x2 – Welcome back Amalgam! I missed you and now we have duel tribe, you are amazing.
- +Scaleworm x2 – Does not grant dragon synergy, but is a fantastic card, and grants removal.
- +Spellbreaker x1 – Really not sure about this or Polymorph, also not sure if I should make the sacrifice to have two of them…
- +Twilight Drake x2 – Welcome back Drake! Now that you have Dragon and Hand synergy you are really strong.
- +Bonfire Elemental x1 – Second one back into the deck, now that more draw is needed.
- +Cobalt Scalebane x1 – would love to have 2 in, but 4 and 5 drops are contested slots.
- +Wyrmguard x1 – Only need 1, but it can be the death stroke to aggressive decks, basically ensuring you can get to Frost Lich Jaina.
Day Seven (tweaks):
- -Spellbreaker x1 – Only helps against big decks, most are playing aggro.
- -Cobalt Scalebane x1 – winmore card (in retrospect).
- -Bonfire Elemental x1 - Improving the curve.
- -Wyrmguard x1 – need to get to turn 7 against aggro.
- +Arcane Intellect x2 - The decks needs that extra draw.
- +Steam Surger x2 - The deck needs this card for optimal curve.
Day Ten (counter-meta tweak):
- -Arcane Intellect x1 - Only actually need 1 for reliable draw (it appears).
- +Tinkmaster Overspark x1 - Essentially because this is a 3 mana polymorph that isn't a spell and has a body (so not game loosing against paladin), essentially the purpose of this inclusion is to Transform a Voidlord, or any minion for a druid, into either a Squirrel or a Devilsaur (which because it is a beast, messes up druid).
Day Two (acquainting myself):
- -Arcane Intellect x1 - Making room for Research Project.
- -Tinkmaster Overspark x1 - This card is no longer needed.
- -Servant of Kalimos x1 with Mecha'thun, Bonfire Elemental becomes the stronger card.
- -Steam Surger x1 - Needed to make a slot, this may be changed later.
- +Research Project x1 - Stronger then Arcane Intellect because of 1 mana cheaper (Giant combo) and mill potential.
- +Stargazer Luna x1 - Obviously...
- +Bonfire Elemental x1 - As above, this is better with Mecha'thun.
- +Mecha'thun x1 - Allows the deck to be unworried about fatigue, thus allowing for greater focus and a win condition.
Day Three (some realism and optimisation):
- -Mecha-Thun – no way to kill it myself.
- -Stonehill Defender x2 – need more tempo and reliability.
- -Bonfire Elemental x2 – With removing [cardMecha’Thun[/card], the worry off fatigue returns, additionally Servant of Kalimos is stronger due to the Leyline Manipulator synergy.
- +Steam Surger x1 – One of the core synergy cards.
- +Servant of Kalimos x1 – Reason above, replacing Bonfire Elemental.
- +Astromancer x2 – May limit this to one at some point, however this brings a strong swing.
- +Luna’s Pocket Galaxy x1 – I don’t know yet if this deck can afford to skip a turn, but there is enough draw to take advantage of this card.
Thank you for reading!