Auto-Squelch Discussion

• Greetings,

I am starting off this post as a thread for players to discuss the desire for "auto-squelch" or the ability to turn off squelch completely, rather than a game-by-game basis. This thread is for feedback and (civil) discussions on the matter.

Those looking to disrupt, troll, start any kind of flame war or just plain be rude will have their comments removed and possibly be actioned. If this is not a feature you support, then this may not be the thread for you. This is a feature some would like to see.

For any who post, please post respectfully and help to keep this conversation open and moving forward. As updates or comments from Dev become available, I will get them posted into this thread.

Thank you!
  • 06/21/2018 01:02 PMPosted by Knappco
    Is there any chance we can get answers to the other questions surrounding this topic, Jesse? Like why this system was implemented in the first place, as opposed to a more traditional chat system? Or why there is reluctance to change any part of the social systems of Hearthstone?

Whenever Dev talks about something, we look to get as much info to share as possible. Should additional feedback on the topic become available, I will see how deep into the topic they want to go and will provide what transparency I can.

Just a reminder, this is an area to discuss the topic, provide feedback and add to any comments you feel relevant. A couple things I ask for comments not to do is:

- Please do not speak for others. The only opinion you can be 100% on is your own. Try and avoid things such as "so many players", "majority of people" or "everyone wants". To often I have seen these comments turn threads into the type of thread we want to avoid. Besides, this is a chance for YOU to deliver your feedback about something meaningful for you. :)

- Don't make it personal over another's comments. If someone is misinterpreting you, feel free to clarify, but please try and avoid turning it into a back and forth argument. These are the type of things that stick out in a thread and cause it to appear as if it is just a trolling/flaming fight.

- Respect each other. If someone does not agree with you, that does not mean anyone is wrong. Different players have different experiences just like people play for different reasons and look to get different things from their time. If someone has a different perspective, feel free to discuss it, but attacking someone for it will not be tolerated. There is just no need.

- Watch making assumptions. If something appears a certain way, that doesn't always mean that was the intent. This goes for everything from Hearthstone to comments being made.

I don't want there to be any topic that we can't openly discuss, but it takes all of us to make it work. If you see someone being toxic, please try to just ignore them. Don't quote them or respond. Leave it (or report it) and we'll take care of it.

Thank you to everyone who continues to contribute in a positive manner.

Cheers!
  • 06/22/2018 05:47 AMPosted by Right
    Jesse, I dont appreciate that you removed my response to this attack on me.

06/22/2018 05:47 AMPosted by Right
    Remove them BOTH then...

My apologizes, Right. I did miss that post. I removed the back and forth as I felt it was progressing negatively and I wanted to avoid the need for you both to feel you needed to defend each other, or to attack each other. That was the reason the posts of you two going back and forth were removed.

Once again, my apologizes for missing that.
  • 06/22/2018 09:57 AMPosted by Metro
    You know the game is losing players when Blizzard starts to consider things that people have asked for yet the company has ignored for years.

Absolutely none of this is true.

I have created this thread to allow players to talk about the topic and provide feedback in a constructive manner that is more easily presented to Team 5.

Also, the issue has not been ignored. There was an answer given and the stance has remained the same. Not changing due to whatever reason is not the matter being ignored. It is maintaining a stance on a topic. If this was being ignored, the very thread you posted that in would not exist.

When I first started commenting on these forums more regularly, I asked for feedback from the current community on how this realm could improve. The majority of comments lead to 1. More transparency. 2. Recognizing community asks. 3. More heavily moderating discussions.

Threads like this help lend to all three of those things. This is not the only topic I have done this with and will not be the last.
  • 06/22/2018 10:33 AMPosted by wolf8sheep
    So did I just waste my time posting if this thread will simply be presented to team 5 only to have them 100% not consider it or am I understanding that wrong?

Not at all and sorry if I worded that in a way that made it seem as such. I'll edit that line.

*Edit - Removed the line. Thanks for the perspective on how that came off wolf8sheep. Definitely could have been worded better.
  • 06/22/2018 11:34 AMPosted by traja
    I am only talking about how this appears to me and not claiming to know the real intentions of anyone. What it appears to me as is Jesse not liking this topic in general, but also not wanting to completely kill discussion into any topic entirely, because that would be kind of shady. So he created this thread for people to vent their futile opinions into while it is really all ignored because nothing has changed on the developer side of things.

:( Sorry if it comes off like that. Definitely not the case.

I don't particularly have a stance on the topic one way or the other, but what I do have a stance on is players being able to express their opinion on the topic in a constructive way. This thread is to help allow that, while also putting all feedback in one place and allowing me to better deliver it to Team 5. I don't find any feedback futile.
  • Hey everyone,

Just wanted to hop in and give an...update(?).

I am working to get a more current answer for you guys. I have no idea which way that answer will go, but I am emphasizing the importance of getting at least a more up to date response on the topic.

As soon as I hear back from Dev, I will reply here.

Thanks to everyone who has been working to keep this conversation civil and for anyone who has taken the time to provide feedback. As well, thank you to those who have been pushing the point about ignoring any trolls and continuing on.

Cheers and I'll get back to you as soon as I have something.
  • 06/27/2018 09:45 AMPosted by Guinevere
    06/27/2018 09:38 AMPosted by Jesse Hill
    Hey everyone,

Just wanted to hop in and give an...update(?).

I am working to get a more current answer for you guys. I have no idea which way that answer will go, but I am emphasizing the importance of getting at least a more up to date response on the topic.

As soon as I hear back from Dev, I will reply here.

Thanks to everyone who has been working to keep this conversation civil and for anyone who has taken the time to provide feedback. As well, thank you to those who have been pushing the point about ignoring any trolls and continuing on.

Cheers and I'll get back to you as soon as I have something.

If the devs are "talking" about this in the same way they're "talking" about the problem with priest skin being locked to A LOT of players only because of their region, we'll never get an answer (nop, I didn't forgot Tyrandegate)

Tyrande has been addressed and is coming back. Please refer to the dedicated thread for that topic for updated information.
  • *Reminder*

This is not an opportunity to comment/attack the requests, ideals or preferences of another player. This is the opportunity to discuss a request made for what some feel is a quality of life adjustment for Hearthstone.

If you find yourself quoting another post or commenting towards another player with the intent to belittle, talk down about or discredit their opinion, backspace your post and try again.

Work with me here everyone. I am trying to create these spaces where I can take feedback directly from you and deliver it to Team 5 to either get changes made or get responses on topics you have been asking about. Please do not turn these into feuds or personal attacks.

I know some don't care for me or my posts. I am aware that some players do not approve of other players and their interactions on the forums. As well, I know there are some ongoing topics that players feel strongly about and would really like to discuss. Regardless of how you feel about any of it, there is zero reason to disrespect one another.

It is okay to have differing opinions. It is okay to want different things. Just be constructive on how you express those things. If someone is saying something you don't agree with and you feel yourself getting worked up, take a minute. Relax and rethink your approach.

I will do my best to help provide a space for players to deliver feedback about Hearthstone. Please do your best to utilize that space properly. You could have the best suggestion ever made, but if it is filled with swearing, snide remarks, digs at other players, curses towards Dev or whatever else some feel helps to emphasize their comment, it is really hard to take that post seriously. It is even harder to justify leaving it up.

It is fully possible to represent yourself in a meaningful and civil way and still deliver your thoughts.
  • 07/18/2018 11:05 AMPosted by Knappco
    And the lack of much needed moderation for the last couple of pages makes me think this thread isn't even being looked at any longer.

07/18/2018 01:58 PMPosted by Langis
    Anywho, report the offending posts. Ignore the offenders as best you can, and report them. Hopefully they'll get their posts removed.

While I do not sit on a particular thread constantly, I do check in and keep an eye on things. That is why I have also mentioned this exact thing.

First off, while I realize that some do look to enter into threads just to derail and troll, not every objective comment is an example of this. While some may seem "too blunt" or rude, it could be a case of just how that person talks and the emotion of the statement is lost in text. I take a good deal of this into consideration when looking at posts.

I also look at that persons post history and their past interactions. However, this isn't to say I don't miss things, cause I do. Sometimes a thread will get necro'd and I'll look it over and see something that should have been nuked a long time ago. It happens. This is why we also look to provide tools for players to address threads.

But also keep in mind that just because you have reported a post, doesn't mean others have. It may also not be breaking any CoC. It is possible to just have someone be rude, but in a way that doesn't warrant any action. Now, while I do try and remove some of these posts to preemptively avoid any flaming, some get by.

This is also why I ask for you all to just ignore them. I see people getting mad at others comments....then quoting them and replying over and over. Then after quoting them, asking why the post isn't removed. If you feel something should be removed, please do not duplicate it by quoting it.

For the statement of "Blizzard has nothing to say on this" and the like - this has been covered in past posts and I ask that anyone coming into this conversation from this point please take the time to go back and read through the thread as I see a lot of repeating conversations, the reasoning has been given. There has been no changes on the stance in the matter.

I understand that is "just the same response", but that is because the thoughts on this from Team 5 have remained the same.

Now this is not to say that conversations have not been happening and that there isn't consideration or additional thought on the situation. It is saying that at this time, there is nothing new or any changes in perspective to share. As with all decisions, we do not give announcements until things are completely set. If things change, we will get info out to you.

It has been asked several times what my opinion on it is. I honestly don't have a set opinion. I do understand points from both sides, but I am not on one side of the fence or the other.

However, I am on the side of the fence for letting players have a place to discuss the matter without being attacked or feeling degraded.

Feel free to leave your feedback, give an opinion on the topic or reply to someone to engage in a conversation, but do so in a respectful manner. Calling names, typing in all caps, talking down to someone and just being a flat out troll. Guys, we don't need it. Be respectful to each other. Be civil.

That person you are responding too is as likely as passionate about their opinion as you are. Be better to each other.

I honestly try not to jump to take action on someone. Especially if it seems they are just "having a moment". If you find your post removed, it was for a reason. Be it cussing, calling someone out or whatever may be a violation of the Code of Conduct. If it is removed and you are still able to post, then feel free to rethink your wording and post again. If you find yourself upset, take a step back and take a moment first.

You guys are awesome. I love seeing the passion, excitement and invested interested you all have for Hearthstone and I want you to keep sharing it. I just ask you please be mindful of how you do so.