"Matchmaking to encourage microtransactions"

• do you guys think this is active yet? i wonder what it is. Maybe it gives you a couple easy games after spending money so that you think the money you spent really helped you win, then start giving you hard ones to encourage you to buy again.

obviously blizz would never admit to that, but do you guys think its a possibility?
  • 11/02/2017 05:36 PMPosted by Kinakino
    [quote]the absolute lack of evidence of anything like this being used despite absolutely ridiculous amount of data tracking that goes on in this game.

There is no data whatsoever on how match making happens. I would be incredibly surprised if it actually was totally random.

The only way to know if it is all purely down to RNG is if you could look into Blizzard's code.

All Blizzard would have to do to stimulate sales, is put a player up against a slightly weaker opponent after they buy a pack, making them feel good about their purchase. This would be so incredibly easy to do and code that the idea that it doesn't happen would actually surprise me.
    Here ya go.
    01/23/2017 09:56 AMPosted by Max McCall
    I saw this post last week, but didn’t have time to respond to it. I’ll do that now: when you go into a game, the only variable that affects who your opponent will be is your skill rating.

Matchmaking works as follows:

We use a formula to assess player skill. After every game, the formula looks at if you won or lost and uses your current rating, your opponent’s rating, and your rating history to generate your new rating. We call this rating MMR for short. In casual and at Legend rank, we pair players with similar MMRs. In Ranked below legend, we pair people with similar star ranks instead of similar MMRs. Your rating is the only input that the matchmaker receives. It doesn’t know what deck you’re playing, what deck you just played with or against, or anything else, except for your rating.

When you press ‘play’ you enter a queue for your chosen game mode. The matchmaker looks at your MMR and compares it to the MMR of everyone else in the queue. If it finds someone else with the same MMR as you, it pairs you into a game. If it doesn’t, it will wait a few seconds and look again. The second time, it doesn’t look just for someone with your MMR; it will also look for someone with an MMR that’s almost the same as yours. If it still doesn’t find a match, it waits another few seconds and looks again. The bound for what MMRs are considered a good match keep widening the longer you’re in the queue; this is to ensure that you don’t have to wait too long to play. Usually a match is found so quickly that the widening bounds never really matter. After the game, your rating is updated, and the process is repeated the next time you queue up.

This post is still accurate. The purpose of MMR is to match you with a player of similar skill level. The only other factor we consider is in Casual and Arena, where if you are very new to the game we try to match you with players who are also new.
  • 11/06/2017 07:49 PMPosted by Schyla
    ...Here ya go.

This post is still accurate. The purpose of MMR is to match you with a player of similar skill level. The only other factor we consider is in Casual and Arena, where if you are very new to the game we try to match you with players who are also new.

Sorry, this isn't true.

If I purposefully lose at rank 20 about 10-20 games in a row, I will be rank 20 facing people who are rank 25. The more I lose, the closer they get to 25. First batch will be rank 21. Next will be 22. So on and so forth.

There is more going on behind the scenes than matching up your stars.

As I said in a previous post, the only relevant piece of information within the star system in terms of matchmaking should be your star rank. I checked out your recent match history (30 days), found your three longest losing streaks, then looked at the match following those games. In all three cases you and your opponent were the same rank. If you ever have any circumstances where there is a large rank discrepancy please file a post in the bug report forums with the time the match took place and we're happy to take a look.