Upcoming Forum Migration

• Well met!

Our resident web team is working on an update to the forums that is planned to go live September 20. Some of our other games currently feature these new forums – we think they’re pretty snazzy. The forum update that is planned will address bugs and add some additional functionality that should make the Hearthstone forums an easier and more organized place to hold discussions about Hearthstone. We’d also like to continue hearing from you regarding any additional functionality you’d like to see on the forums in the future.

With the addition of the new forums, we’re cleaning up some of the lesser used forums and adding others to make discussions a bit more focused. Here’s the forums you can find when all is said and done:

Support Forums

• Unchanged

Community Forums

• Announcements
    • New Player Tavern
    • Play Discussion
    • Adventure Discussion
    • Arena Discussion
    • Tavern Brawl Discussion
    • Community Discussion

To be clear, this means we will be removing the General Forums and each of the individual class forum, so please be sure to save any posts in those forums that you would like to keep.

We’d like to hear your feedback for our plans for the forums. Would you like to see additional forums? What kind of feedback do you have about overall forum functionality? Feel free to share any other thoughts you may have regarding the Hearthstone forum community here. In addition, since forum updating is a bit of a tricky endeavor, we strongly suggest you back up any important posts or guides you may have created, just in case anything gets lost in the migration. Posts that were contained within the General Discussion and Class Forums will no longer be accessible after September 20.

We look forward to your feedback!
  • 09/12/2016 06:04 PMPosted by Critcat
    09/12/2016 05:41 PMPosted by Zeriyah
    To be clear, this means we will be removing the General Forums and each of the individual class forum, so please be sure to save any posts in those forums that you would like to keep.

I have noticed a trend that when there is a "hot topic" regarding a certain class/deck, OTK Worgen a few months ago for example, instead of locking/deleting the excessive threads you would redirect them from GD to the class forums in an attempt to clean up GD.

What are your plans for "Play Discussion", which is the most likely contender to replace GD as our hangout, when these FOTM complaints arise that every man and his dog has to open their own thread on because they're issue is "special" and cant possibly be posted in one of the 20 existing threads on the topic?

I guess what I am getting at is, can we expect more heavy handed moderation when these changes go live?

I think there's a couple ways to go about this, but I think it's more important to hear what you'd like to see. If there's a FOTM/FOTW topic happening, is having a megathread the preference that the community would like to see? We notice that people tend to not look at the stickied posts over time, so maybe just having a free-floating designated megathread for those topics is the best way to go about it.

Ideally, we'd like to see less threads that are just TOPIC and the entire body of the post is NERF PLS and more constructive discussion overall. We'll take the steps necessary to get to that point.
  • As a quick update, the forum migration will be delayed until September 20. You've got a little more time to save any text that's important to you!
  • 09/13/2016 01:30 PMPosted by Ifym
    Personally, I'd like to see news posted here. I browse these forums almost daily, and it seems like all the news about expansions, new cards, and anything else hits other websites or the main HS page before it makes its way to the forums. I look at the blue sticky topics at the top and I don't see anything about the welcome bundle. I found out about it reading yahoo news. Seems like a blue would have made a sticky post announcing it. It's also frustrating that you have to go somewhere else for card reveals of new expansions/adventures. Why wouldn't that be on these forums?

We only very rarely reference our blogs on the forums since they share the same site (just click 'News' in the navbar at the top!). I agree that we can do better with communication on the forums, but it's still a good idea to check out the blogs now and then to keep up with important Hearthstone updates.
  • 09/13/2016 03:50 PMPosted by Singularity
    The blog is very often hours. If not days behind news that appears on Hearthpwn and Reddit.

That may be true if you're talking about datamined content--though it's worth pointing out that datamined information can be quite unreliable taken out of context. Regardless, much of the time, the news about game features that appears on Hearthpwn, Reddit, or elsewhere originates here with one of our blog posts.

We're drifting a little off of the point anyway, since the question I was addressing dealt with whether news should be posted to the forums. In this case, it was the Welcome Bundle, which was announced via the blogs here on the official site.

09/13/2016 03:50 PMPosted by Singularity
    Combined this with the fact that posters such as Chimera, PUPU and Max, all of which have been banned multiple times, still manage to go weeks without a ban, all the while posting dozens of flamebait forum threads and replies, and realistically, you don't have to migrate forums to make us happy.

I think we agree that that's an issue. We're always looking for ways to improve our ability to keep toxic posting and spam under control, and the migration is part of that effort.
  • 09/13/2016 05:26 PMPosted by Critcat
    Follow up Q re: the Welcome Bundle. Its mentioned in the blog it will be released with the "next content update". I assume that this means the next expansion, correct? Or is it the next patch?

The next patch, which should be arriving in the near future.
  • Reposting our rationale for disabling the class forums:

09/20/2016 12:21 PMPosted by Aratil
    We looked at a lot of data the past few months and found that very few people actually used the class forums. It's true that there were certainly useful discussions and posts in the class forums but we thought that it may be a better experience overall to create tighter discussion forums instead of spreading out the community through a bunch of forums that see very little traffic.

If this new setup doesn't work, we will definitely consider reinstating the class forums or look into other ways to address what is needed. In the meantime, please bear with us in trying out the new forum setup.
  • Also reposting our rationale for the removal of General Discussion:

09/20/2016 12:49 PMPosted by Aratil

Well, we want to disable the General Discussion forum for different reasons. The thought here is that General Discussion is a misleading forum name because it encourages users to post in it by default. This naturally promotes the General Discussion forum as the most popular forum but also harms the ability of the other forums to build a meaningful presence. The new Play Discussion forum should be able to capture most of what was previously discussed in the General Discussion forum and class forums. We hope that by disabling the General Discussion forum, we would encourage users to use more of the other forums and that it would be easier overall for users to find other players that are interested in the same discussion topics.

I understand that this is a significant change and it may not be the right decision at the end of the day. However, I think that it is worth trying out, and would very much appreciate everyone's understanding and help in using the new forums.
  • 09/23/2016 10:41 PMPosted by Critcat

1. Feedback to your web devs has either not been passed on, or has been ignored.

They have been passed on, especially the concern regarding the background being hard on the eyes for some users. Unfortunately, addressing the concerns take time, but our Web team has assured me that they have it in their task list.

09/23/2016 10:41 PMPosted by Critcat

2. After a brief period of activity you, the mods, are slipping back into normal routine by ignoring spam (yes, repeated threads regarding the SAME topic constitutes spam) and allowing well know trolls to go about their business... AGAIN!!!

Sorry about the spam =(. A lot of the spam occurs outside of office hours so it sometimes takes a while for us to get to it. I understand that this is not a reasonable excuse, so hopefully it can at least serve as an explanation. We are in the process of implementing better spam prevention on the platform side that should help with this. Unfortunately, I don't have an ETA for when that will happen yet.

3. Not communicating with us just like it was prior to the migration announcement.

This is certainly not our intent, and I'm sorry that you feel that way. Please know that the community team is also responsible for many other things, such as writing all of Hearthstone's blogs, patch notes, videos, streams, and social media posts. These other tasks have definitely taken us more away from the forums then I would have liked. We definitely value the Hearthstone forums and will be making a greater effort to have a presence here.

Seriously, can we expect anything even resembling moderation on these forums, or am I wasting my time here?

I have been hopeful for a long time now that these forums might be shown some love and every few months I get a glimpse of hope that you just might give a [email protected]#$ about them. Sadly these glimpses are short lived, and I have lost faith in ALL of your moderation team to adequately fulfill the expectations of what a normal person would have.

If you dont want to moderate these forums, fine, SHUT THEM DOWN!

Your whole moderation team from top to bottom needs a swift kick in the [email protected]#. You are NOT providing a welcoming environment for forum regulars, let alone new players who come here. THAT NEEDS TO CHANGE!!!

E: and now the Korean spam starts. What exactly were the forum changes meant to achieve again?

I just spoke with the team about this right before I made this post. I can't promise that things will be as you wish, but I do want to make things better.
  • This! The way GD-like topics are now randomly distributed between Play and Community discussion, with minimal moderation (or the first idea what each subforum should actually aim to accomplish?), makes no sense at all

Hmmm....it shouldn't feel random. Basically, anything related to Play Mode, should go in the Play Mode Discussion forum, while topics that are generally related to things that are outside of the game should go in the Community Discussion forum.