Warlock Quest buff

• I wish the warlock quest could work with cards that you discard from your opponent as well. If it needed to be rebalanced to accommodate that so be it. I dunno, i think it would be a more viable control tool since it allows you to pressure control decks with treachery shenanigans and Gnomeferatu, but you would ideally play the portal after the DK so as to not dilute the demon resummon.
  • We like the Warlock quest, agree that it's currently not very powerful. It's likely there will be more support for it in the future. Can't go into specifics but it's one of many archetypes we'd like to have a bit of extra support for.
  • 10/22/2017 05:23 PMPosted by Nintai
    10/22/2017 04:19 PMPosted by August Dean Ayala
    We like the Warlock quest, agree that it's currently not very powerful. It's likely there will be more support for it in the future. Can't go into specifics but it's one of many archetypes we'd like to have a bit of extra support for.

My sincere reaction:
    https://media.tenor.com/images/ede9cdb17ea005b363df6d4ac6ca72a0/tenor.gif

Now on a more textual manner.
    how many more epics and legendaries you guys are going to put on the deck as always pushing an archetype to be viable @August Dean Ayala ?? like you did to priest and almost always do when you wanna push hard an archetype. and, how broken do you guys plan to make it so it will be dominant on ladder ?, again, like priest... it really makes the ladder boring to see some silly cards together pushed by you guys to make a deck without the need of building and research from the players, its one of the worst ways to implement a deck, and make this whole experience dull while we ladder. :/

We don't have any plans to make discard the core theme of any set in the near future. We do think there is room for a one-off card to help out.
  • 10/22/2017 09:44 PMPosted by Mand
    10/22/2017 05:45 PMPosted by August Dean Ayala

We don't have any plans to make discard the core theme of any set in the near future. We do think there is room for a one-off card to help out.

How many times have you been trying it, though? What will make the next round different?

It's okay if a particular archetype doesn't speak to the entire playerbase. It's okay if an archetype only speaks to a very small percentage of players. Discard is what many game designers refer to as a kiss-curse mechanic. In my personal experience, only a small portion of players enjoy kiss curse mechanics but there are some that love the risk/reward of it. For this reason I doubt we'll make more than one discard card every set or two, but the occasional piece for the person that does enjoy that deck is something I would consider reasonable.
  • 10/22/2017 06:22 PMPosted by Wardrum
    Just to prove the point Dean made about officially forum stuff eventually making it over to Reddit, Dean's comment regarding discard now has its own Reddit discussion going as well.

You thought folks on HERE melt down over nothing? That place is hilarious.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/783v0u/horrifying_news_from_lead_designer_dean_ayala/

I just saw this. I see they upgraded me to Lead Designer as well, thanks reddit!
  • 10/22/2017 11:44 PMPosted by EspKrt
    An unpopular opinion, may be disagreed, but i think a set of cards in an expansion should not force players into a certain deck archetype (discard, evolve,...). IIRC your team already talked about it somewhere.

There is a fine line. I agree you should never feel forced into a particular archetype but we do like to make sets that have cohesive themes in each class. In order for a deck to feel like it has a bunch of synergy we have to make cards that work well with each other. If we make cards that work too well with each other it might feel like that is the only archetype worth playing. When we sit down and think about what a class should do in a given expansion we try to give them a core theme that makes sense for the flavor of that set, we try to give them cards that support old/future themes, and we try to give them cards that support brand new archetypes.