R.I.P. class forums.

• Gonna miss them.
  • We looked at a lot of data the past few months and found that very few people actually used the class forums. It's true that there were certainly useful discussions and posts in the class forums but we thought that it may be a better experience overall to create tighter discussion forums instead of spreading out the community through a bunch of forums that see very little traffic.

If this new setup doesn't work, we will definitely consider reinstating the class forums or look into other ways to address what is needed. In the meantime, please bear with us in trying out the new forum setup.

By the way, I will also be disabling the General Discussion forum soon.
  • 09/20/2016 12:25 PMPosted by Rubric
    09/20/2016 12:21 PMPosted by Aratil

I find that really funny for some reason.

Users: "Hey Blizzard, why you take away the forums that have no traffic"

Blizzard: "Oh okay, I'll take away the one WITH traffic also...."

Well, we want to disable the General Discussion forum for different reasons. The thought here is that General Discussion is a misleading forum name because it encourages users to post in it by default. This naturally promotes the General Discussion forum as the most popular forum but also harms the ability of the other forums to build a meaningful presence. The new Play Discussion forum should be able to capture most of what was previously discussed in the General Discussion forum and class forums. We hope that by disabling the General Discussion forum, we would encourage users to use more of the other forums and that it would be easier overall for users to find other players that are interested in the same discussion topics.

I understand that this is a significant change and it may not be the right decision at the end of the day. However, I think that it is worth trying out, and would very much appreciate everyone's understanding and help in using the new forums.
  • 09/20/2016 12:45 PMPosted by Sovereign
    09/20/2016 12:21 PMPosted by Aratil

You write like a troll, sir. Without a followup explanation, you make it sound like you're just here to kill the community.

Sorry it came across like that. I'm addressing several things at once at the moment, so was just trying get a warning out as we are currently in the process of migrating to the new forum platform. I intended it to be more of a reminder that we will also be disabling the General Discussion forums but totally see how the way I wrote it can read as dismissive or curt, which was 100% not my intent. I posted a followup explanation in my post above, so I hope that helps to explain our rationale.