Blizzard isn't throwing out old cards, YOU are

• If you like using your old cards there is absolutely no reason you have to stop. You can play wild mode. It's going to basically be the game we always expected before the announcement. It's no different at all.

InB4 "b-b-but muh tournament points!" When was the last time you even qualified for a tournament with tournament points? Maybe a hundred people on earth end up going anywhere with tournament points. You all play hearthstone in your leisure time between school and work, you're not big time shot callers on a competitive circuit. There's absolutely nothing keeping you from playing however you want. Keep your old cards and just play wild if you like them so much.

Why do you have to do whatever trump is doing? You aren't trump, you're you. You can play and compete however you like. Eventually new players can jump into wild with you, too - a set of shredders or deaths bite will be 80 dust, so I'm sure they can manage.
  • 02/03/2016 04:06 PMPosted by Croaton
    You just don't get it, how the hell could you have fun in a mode that is not going to receive balance whatsoever?

Out of curiosity, where did you get this idea? That isn't the intention for Wild, and though the boundaries for what's considered acceptable will be different, the devs absolutely care about both formats.

02/03/2016 04:09 PMPosted by Kyzonu
    for the next couple of expansions, wild mode will be just like current constructed

That’s correct. Effectively, Wild *is* current constructed, plus whatever new cards are released.

02/03/2016 04:09 PMPosted by Kyzonu
    but as more and more cards are released, wild mode will just become more and more broken.

Yes, there's no question that Wild will be more challenging to balance, and I think it would be disingenuous to try to pretend that it isn't. In fact, that's a big part of the reason why introducing formats is a compelling option!

That doesn't mean that Wild won't be a ton of fun though, and the devs plan to do their best to keep it fun. The possibilities there are endless, and they'll only get more interesting as time goes on.
  • 02/03/2016 04:09 PMPosted by FrangoZumbi
    You know that Wild mode will not have balance patchs, right? cuz it WACKY WILD!

We will monitor the balance of both Standard and Wild formats once they arrive. We want players to choose the format(s) that fit how they want to play the game and will continue to ensure that all modes of play are an enjoyable experience.
  • 02/03/2016 04:43 PMPosted by GreenTuque
    Hey, while you are here. Can you answer why they chose not to tell their players about this new format till now? With all the UI work needed for it, must have been in the works for a very long time.

Sure. The devs knew that this was a vital, but pretty huge step to take. It took a lot of discussion and debate to arrive at a course of action that will set Hearthstone on the right course for the future.

It wasn't fully fleshed out enough to reasonably reveal until now, and experience teaches that it's not very useful to talk about things that might change in potentially dramatic ways in their final implementation. When you talk about a complicated feature before it's firm enough to provide any reasonable detail about, it can end up leading to a lot of unnecessary frustration.

We do appreciate your feedback, and we know this is all a lot to absorb. Formats are still a decent amount of time out and I'm pretty sure that we're all still processing what it means. Still, I suspect that the reality of how it will actually feel to play in formats will be less dramatic than it seems when looking at it from here.
  • 02/03/2016 04:50 PMPosted by Critcat
    This is another concern I have, currently casual fills the role of "fun mode" (well, that and TB), is there any guarantee that, as time goes by, it will not simply be merged with casual, losing its ranked "perks" in the process?

There will be both Ranked and Casual queues in both Standard and Wild formats. I'm not sure what you mean by 'merged with casual' in that context. Apologies if I missed the point of your question!

And thats fine, but if a card not causing issues in standard somehow made turn 1-2 kills possible in wild would it be addressed? The impression I got from BB's interview yesterday was that it was unlikely.

I think that impression is mistaken, and Ben has mentioned to us that he wasn't entirely satisfied with his answer there.

Your example is a very specific scenario, with some pretty major caveats attached to it. I don't want to speak for the devs here, but I think it's reasonable to expect that really egregious stuff like a Wild deck that could consistently produce turn 1-2 kills would merit attention. Whether a simple solution for a sticky problem like that would present itself is another matter. It wouldn't be ignored, either way.

02/03/2016 04:48 PMPosted by Achenar
    the only issue im seeing is that because of standard balance, they will have to nerf some staple basic and classic cards, rendering them unplayable in wild (effectively removing them from the game)

That's a realistic concern, and I think we can agree that it's not ideal. It’s part of why we don’t like changing cards and try to avoid it at all. Nonetheless, just as with any other card change, different cards will generally fill the gaps and the new paradigm sets in.

02/03/2016 05:02 PMPosted by PentaTheCat
    This is very important. I can't play Wild Mode properly because there's no packs to buy for it. How the hell are we supposed to have any competition in a mode that is completely locked out from the shop?

There's the obvious response that you can craft cards that you need, and it's fairly likely that you won't have to craft the entirety of a deck to play in Wild. It's more likely that players will just want a few cards to add to an existing deck. And yes, this makes the cards you’ve already collected and the decks you’ve assembled more valuable in Wild, precisely because of the reasons you’ve mentioned.

As time goes on, new decks will be added to the Wild meta as the card pool grows. It's also worth mentioning that Standard decks can queue straight into Wild, so that will happen too. It'll be an interesting environment.

02/03/2016 05:09 PMPosted by Sisk
    I think the way they worded it says a lot.

Adventures and Expansions that are not part of the Standard format will no longer be available for purchase from the Shop—this year

Once there is a new rotation I suspect they might consider bringing back the previous sets for purchase again.

I’m afraid that quote is out of context, Sisk.

The whole sentence reads “Adventures and Expansions that are not part of the Standard format will no longer be available for purchase from the Shop—this year, that includes Naxxramas and Goblins vs Gnomes.”

It was just a way of segueing into listing the sets that would be excluded from Standard format. There currently aren’t any plans to return sets that have cycled out of Standard to the format, though anything is possible in the future.

Edit: Can't make Critcat's second quote work right. My fault for making huge omnibus posts. =(
  • 02/03/2016 06:04 PMPosted by Critcat
    Its exactly the sort of scenario which could (potentially) happen though, which is a concerning as its been stated there will be a "higher tolerance" in wild, which is fine, but if you need to kill a standard deck in order to remedy this (admittedly unlikely, yet plausible) scenario we need to feel assured that appropriate action will be taken, regardless of its impacts on standard mode, and we will not just be told "well, you have the option play standard mode".

Oh, absolutely. I understand why you asked the question in the manner that you did. I just think that it's the kind of 'cross that bridge when we come to it' kind of scenario because of all the potential variables involved.

Hypotheticals are always tricky, but I can say with confidence that a deck capable of consistently defeating an opponent on the first turn is not the kind of thing that the devs want floating around Wild.
  • Daxxari, while you're still here, any chance of this at least being passed along to whomever is in charge of this decision? I probably wouldn't cash in myself as I value my collection too highly to dust, and accept that it will be wild or bust for me. But I am sure this would alleviate some of the tension regarding the whole refund thing, even if not everyone is eligible.

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/forum/topic/20418874568

I sure can. No promises, of course.

All of the feedback about formats is reaching Team 5.
  • "more interesting as time goes on"

more like a unbalanced mess lol

I think that the broad possibilities that Wild presents will be very attractive to some players. Not to mention the opportunity to continue to play favorite decks that are no longer available to play in Standard format.

Maybe you'll prefer Standard format. It seems likely that you will, based on your posts in this thread, and that's totally okay. I mean, Standard is coming so players who prefer that kind of experience will have it available.

Wild will be waiting if you want to do something different.
  • [quote]

There's the obvious response that you can craft cards that you need,

Yes

Ah, I'm glad you agree.

It's fun to clip a few words out of context.

02/03/2016 07:16 PMPosted by Spam
    Notice me sempai D:
    Keeping the classic, gvg, and tgt packs in the store is also more possible revenue. Especially since my gf and her sis just graduated college (bachelors, masters). I also like to spoil them :x I bought most of their adventures

Just for clarity, only the Naxxramas adventure and Goblins vs Gnomes packs are leaving the shop when formats arrive. If you already own the first wing of Naxx, you'll be able to unlock the remaining wings with in-game gold at your own pace, too.

Classic will always be part of Standard format, so those packs will always be available.

The Grand Tournament, along with Blackrock Mountain and League of Explorers won't cycle out of Standard format until the first new expansion is released in 2017.