Patch 9.0: Frozen Throne Flavor Text, Free Card Packs, Pirates Day Event, Twitch Prime Card Backs, Official Patch Notes
A new patch has arrived with preparations for the Frozen Throne expansion! We're currently working on datamining, refresh this page for updates!
Obligatory disclaimer that datamined information may not be entirely accurate.
- We're getting a launch event for Frozen Throne. Logging in gives you 3 card packs.
- There will be a Pirates Day Event this year. Logging in gives you 100 gold.
- It looks like Twitch Prime will be giving out a couple of card backs.
- We've got all the flavor text for the new cards.
- Arthas has been added to the game as a playable hero. He won't be obtainable for a few weeks though.
- Dreadsteed has been changed and can be disenchanted for full value.
Reminder: Time is running out to pre-order Knights of the Frozen Throne. Pre-ordering gives you 50 card packs for the price of 40! Limit of one pre-order per account. You will also get a pre-order card back! Pre-orders can be done in-game or on the BNet Shop.
Icecrown Launch Event
There will be a Launch Event! FREE PACKS!
Knights of the Frozen Throne Launch Period - Free Packs
- The Frozen Throne Beckons
- A gift of dark power from the Lich King! Do you dare open it?
- Rewards you with 3 Icecrown Packs.
Golden Card Animations
Do you like the golden animation? Check them out in our db!
Upcoming Twitch Promotions - Twitch Prime?
There are two card backs flagged for special promotions. Their names are Twitch1 and Twitch2. We've previously seen Twitch promotions with Hearthstone via Tyrande which was obtained from Twitch Prime. Back in June, Twitch did state their would be more rewards for Hearthstone players from the service.
Call of the Void
- A card back unleashed from the realm of infinite darkness. Looks wicked rad under a blacklight.
Call of the Light
- A card back called forth from the realm of undying light. Gives hope to all mankind (except your opponent.)
Pirates Day Event
Strings indicate that we're getting a new in-game event for Pirates Day. Likely to be held on International Talk Like a Pirate Day.
Quest: Pirate Day - Free Gold
- Tharr be Booty!
- To celebrate y'all talk'n like Pirates, have some treasure on us.
- Rewards you with 100 gold.
- Garrosh: YAR-DE-HARDY HAR YE HAR!
- Thrall: Yar, matey. It be Pirate, uh, Day.
- Valeera: Yarrr!
- Uther: Avast, ya scurvy scallywags!
- Rexxar: Unleash the swarthy sea dogs!
- Malfurion: Yarrrrr!
- Gul'dan: Pirate's Day? I don't get it.
- Jaina: Arrrr! Ahoy!
- Anduin: Yarhahahar, let's join the Dread Crew.
- Jaraxxus: I AM JARRRRRRAXXUS!
- Ragnaros: BEHOLD! THE LORD OF FIARRRRRRRRR!
- Khadgar: We celebrate... sea criminals today?
- Morgl: <Pirates!? We were \nhere first!>
- Tyrande: Power Word: Yarrrrr!
- Maiev: Yarrr, matey!
- Arthas: It's good to be Arrrrrrrthas!
Icecrown Citadel Boss VO
The Lich King
Death Knight Hero VO
New Card Flavor Text
Below is all the new flavor texts in today's patch. Find anything exciting? Share your favourites over on the forums.
- Phantom Freebooter - There's no such thing as a free boot.
- Skelemancer - What do you mean there's no such thing as "Skelemancy?" But "Dinomancy" is ok?
- Exploding Bloatbat - We've all been there after a night of one-too-many funnel cakes.
- Snowflipper Penguin - On land, a group of penguins is called a "waddle."
- Rattling Rascal - Don't give up, skeleton!
- Grim Necromancer - WARNING: Skeletons will NOT explode.
- Bone Drake - The bone drake brings all the dragons to the yard. He would teach you, but you have no cards.
- Sunborne Val'kyr - Bring valor to Odyn's halls, Champion!
- Cobalt Scalebane - You get a sword! And you get a sword! Everybody gets a sword!
- Night Howler - Honestly, he howls during the day, too.
- Venomancer - Eight times the death of regular-mancers.
- Arrogant Crusader - To be honest, he was kind of a jerk even BEFORE he was bitten by that ghoul.
- Righteous Protector - Original name was Tubular Protector, but this seems more bodacious.
- Dark Conviction - In his court, Uther is judge, jury, AND executioner…
- Defile - This spell was originally designed to help warlocks clean up their hard drives.
- Fatespinner - Her clothing? Pure silk, of course.
- Toxic Arrow - What doesn't kill you makes you toxic.
- Webweave - O, what a tangled web we weave, hoping spiders dodge the cleave.
- Druid of the Swarm - The Druid awoke from troubling dreams to find herself transformed into a giant spider.
- Play Dead - He's a very literal dog.
- Spreading Plague - In the past, plagues were spread by mice or fleas. These days they're spread by elves.
- Drain Soul - Cleans even the toughest clogs with just a flick of the wrist!
- Cryostasis - We'll thaw you out when we find a cure!
- Brrrloc - He may be frozen fish, but he fights fresh!
- Mountainfire Armor - Excuse me. Your mountain is on fire.
- Blood Razor - For the close shave that you've always wanted. Caution: Very sharp.
- Bone Baron - "Oil," "Rail," and "Blubber" were already taken.
- Vryghoul - It's pronounced VERY GHOUL. Don't let anyone tell you different.
- Ice Walker - Ice Walker you say? He doesn't have feet!
- Ghastly Conjurer - Wearing purple after the holidays? GHASTLY!
- Light's Sorrow - These sorrows cut deep.
- Despicable Dreadlord - He's deathspicable.
- Avalanche - One of our more snowbally cards.
- Gnash - It's rude to gnash with your mouth open.
- Drakkari Defender - Sometimes, the best defense is an offensive troll.
- Frozen Clone - It's like déjà vu, times two.
- Doomed Apprentice - Jaina was never good at keeping up apprentices.
- Ultimate Infestation - Ghouls in the pipe, five by five.
- Glacial Mysteries - The secret is in the frosting.
- Voodoo Hexxer - The Silver Hand recruits shuddered in terror when they saw the dreaded totem of the Hexxer: A tiny little snowman, impaled with pins.
- Ice Fishing - Glow fish, war fish... blow fish, more fish...
- Snowfury Giant - This minion goes all the way to 11!
- Dead Man's Hand - I got two pair, Rags and Armorsmiths. What you got?
- Acherus Veteran - This is my Runeblade. There are many like it but this one is mine.
- Tuskarr Fisherman - If you bring him 500 fish, he'll give you this sweet Kalu'ak Fishing Pole.
- Fallen Sun Cleric - It's hard to keep a Shattered Sun Cleric down.
- Furnacefire Colossus - Smelts in his mouth, not in your hand.
- Grave Shambler - I think one of the necromancers got a little carried away.
- Tomb Lurker - She hangs out in all the tombs, but she rarely posts.
- Ticking Abomination - Abomination. Emphasis on the second syllable.
- Venomstrike Trap - Snakes on a frozen plain.
- Roll the Bones - Call it: Heads or Tailbone…
- Professor Putricide - Among his more notable inventions: A tentacle-groomer, a plague that would wipe out all life on Azeroth, and a fidget spinner.
- Treachery - Never look a gift minion in the mouth.
- Devour Mind - A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Seconds, anyone?
- Shadow Ascendant - When you're at the bottom, there's nowhere to ascend, but up.
- Acolyte of Agony - It takes many years of practiced study in order to fully master agony.
- Eternal Servitude - What do you mean I don't get overtime pay for this?!
- Obsidian Statue - The original artist spent many hours with a fine chisel perfecting the facial expression for maximum tauntiness.
- Archbishop Benedictus - Nobody expects the Archbishop's Benediction!
- Howlfiend - The problem is that he carries those cards in his mouth.
- Deadscale Knight - His favorite spell is Chum Explosion.
- Leeching Poison - No actual leeches were harmed in the creation of this card.
- Doomerang - Guaranteed to return your weapon directly to your hand! (Wear gloves. Thick ones.)
- Shadow Essence - Difficult to bottle up and sell. But it packs a punch.
- Ice Breaker - A great way to end a conversation.
- Animated Berserker - He'd be a lot easier to animate if he would just stand still.
- Runeforge Haunter - Don't worry, he'll keep an eye on that for you.
- Corpse Widow - Her marriage survived death, but it decayed pretty quickly after that.
- Desperate Stand - They're grateful for the help, but most minions would prefer not dying in the first place.
- Blackguard - "Did I ever tell you the story of when I single-handedly took down a 29/29 C'thun?" - Reno Jackson
- Coldwraith - He's freezing his bones off!
- Corpse Raiser - He was just minding his business, farming corpses, when you meddling adventurers came along.
- Forge of Souls - Powerful weaponry forged by Bronjahm, the Godfather of Souls.
- Moorabi - Most disturbing is how Moorabi covers all those frozen minions with flavored syrup.
- The Lich King - "All that I am: anger, cruelty, vengeance, 8 attack - I bestow upon you, my chosen knight."
- Rotface - Daddy! I think I made a Legendary!
- Gnomeferatu - She prefers the term "Glampire."
- Val'kyr Soulclaimer - My Ghoul friend is back and you're gonna be in trouble.
- Stitched Tracker - He's just exercising his right to bear arms.
- Bearshark - "Candygram."
- Death Revenant - How's everyone doing? Hurt? Bleeding? Wounded? ... Excellent.
- Saronite Chain Gang - Desperately needs some alone time.
- Deathspeaker - It helps to speak really, really loud.
- Wretched Tiller - If you ever tried to plow permafrost, you’d be wretched, too.
- Unwilling Sacrifice - Stand right... there. Perfect, perfect! Now don't move.
- Thrall, Deathseer - "Do not be afraid. Approach. The dead will sleep… for now."
- Happy Ghoul - When life gives you snow…
- Skulking Geist - It's as though a million Jade Idols cried out, and were suddenly silenced.
- Shallow Gravedigger - It's hard to put them six feet under when you're three feet tall.
- Bonemare - Attacks her job with unbridled enthusiasm.
- Nerubian Unraveler - He loves a good yarn.
- Howling Commander - Enlistment in her battalion comes with several pairs of earplugs.
- Spirit Lash - We've got spirit, yes we do! We've got spirit, stolen from you!
- Strongshell Scavenger - It isn't "grave robbing" when there's no grave. It's just scavenging…
- Crypt Lord - The original fifth beetle!
- Plague Scientist - The excruciating pain means it's working!
- Deathaxe Punisher - Don't fear the Arcanite Reaper.
- Lilian Voss - She doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And she absolutely will not stop... ever, until all necromancers are dead.
- Meat Wagon - Necromancers call it "Meals on Wheels."
- Chillblade Champion - It slices, it dices, it vaporizes! The Chillblade will make a Champion out of even the lowliest gnome.
- Simulacrum - It's like déjà vu, times two.
- Abominable Bowman - Frosty the Bowman... was an angry hateful soul... with a fresh hewn bow and a missing nose...
- Valeera the Hollow - "Run away. Hide in your precious keeps, behind your walls and your bodyguards. Night always falls, and shadows will fill your hallowed halls. One day, one of those shadows will be me."
- Deathstalker Rexxar - "You were too slow, old friend. The hunt began long ago. And now... it will never end."
- Uther of the Ebon Blade - "Step forward. Confess! Once I was a mere servant of the Light. Now I alone stand in judgement."
- Shadowreaper Anduin - "I will tell you what Velen never taught me. Whosoever stands before the Light… inevitably casts a shadow."
- Bloodreaver Gul'dan - "Still you refuse to bend your knee? None can escape death, you old fool. And in death… all will serve me…"
- Malfurion the Pestilent - "Cenarius once taught me about the precarious balance between life and death. I have come to understand: there IS no balance. Death always wins."
- Frost Lich Jaina - "Arthas was a spoiled child, playing with toys he could neither control nor understand. Come into the cold. I will show you the true power of the Frozen Throne."
- Scourgelord Garrosh - "You dare to challenge me? Come! Draw your last breath - and then, you are mine."
- Hadronox - The viziers of Azjol-Nerub released Hadronox as a last-ditch effort to hold back the Lich King. They did so by VERY carefully scooping him up in a LARGE newspaper and releasing him.
- Breath of Sindragosa - Is it cold in here or is it just Sindragosa?
- Bring It On! - Brrr, it's cold in here. Let's hope she doesn't have an Auctioneer!
- Sindragosa - "I recognize your effort but I think your magic still has room for improvement." - Sindragosa after taking a class on giving constructive feedback.
- Blood-Queen Lana'thel - As a young blood-princess she learned the proper way for a lady to curtsy, how to address fellow members of royalty, and how to bite them.
- Embrace Darkness - Once you both get comfortable, darkness is actually pretty snuggly.
- Shadowblade - It's tacky to call it "Shadeblade."
- Prince Keleseth - Three Princes stand before you. This one wants to buff his brothers.
- Prince Taldaram - Three Princes stand before you. This one wants to copy others.
- Prince Valanar - Three Princes stand before you. This one devours one after another.
- Arfus - There must always be a Lick King.
- Hyldnir Frostrider - Don't be fooled, that polar bear's the one in charge.
- Spellweaver - Spells offer twice the moisture wicking of cotton.
- Bolvar, Fireblood - He's so hot right now.
- Necrotic Geist - An eye for an eye, and a ghoul for a ghoul.
- Drakkari Enchanter - Drakkari sorceresses have the irritating habit of repeating themselves at the end of every sentence. Every sentence.
- Mindbreaker - He's a mind breaker, dream taker, ghoul trainer, don't you mess around with him.
- Sanguine Reveler - Have some! This drink is to die for!
- Wicked Skeleton - It's minions like these that give normal, law-abiding skeletons a bad rap.
- Bloodworm - Queen Lana'thel insists on one of these, fried, every morning for breakfast.
- Spectral Pillager - It turns out you CAN take it with you.
- Keening Banshee - "What are your strengths?" the interviewer asked. "Well," she replied, "I'm really good at keening."
- Corpsetaker - Her extensive collection of corpses includes one of nearly every type. She'd love for you to join it.
- Tainted Zealot - The love she shares seems to go nowhere. Now she's lost her Light, tosses and turns, she can't sleep at night...
- Tentacles - Where'd those come from?
Messy string dump below and some audio. Will format at some point.
- VO_ICC08_LichKing_Male_Human_YoungArthas_02 I hate mirror matches.
- VO_ICC08_LichKing_Male_Human_YoungArthas_02 I hate mirror matches.
- VO_Arthas_Male_Human_START_01 For Lordaeron!
- VO_Arthas_Male_Human_MIRROR_START_01 For my father the King!
- VO_Arthas_Male_Human_GREETINGS_01 Hail, and well met.
- VO_Arthas_Male_Human_MIRROR_GREETINGS_01 Well met, indeed!
- VO_Arthas_Male_Human_THREATEN_01 You are past redemption!
- VO_Arthas_Male_Human_CONCEDE_01 The battle is over. You win.
- VO_Arthas_Male_Human_WELL_PLAYED_01 Well played.
- VO_Arthas_Male_Human_OOPS_01 A misstep.
- VO_Arthas_Male_Human_THANKS_01 You have my gratitude.
- VO_Arthas_Male_Human_SORRY_01 A royal apology, friend.
- VO_Arthas_Male_Human_PICKED_01 Justice has come!
- VO_Arthas_Male_Human_THINK1_01 Hmm...
- VO_Arthas_Male_Human_THINK2_01 Which path to choose...
- VO_Arthas_Male_Human_THINK3_01 What would Uther do...
- VO_Arthas_Male_Human_Attack_01 Evil will be PURGED!
- VO_Arthas_Male_Human_TIMER_01 I must act now!
- VO_Arthas_Male_Human_LOW_CARDS_01 I'm almost out of cards.
- VO_Arthas_Male_Human_NO_CARDS_01 I'm out of cards!
- VO_Arthas_Male_Human_ERROR_NEED_WEAPON_01 I need a weapon.
- VO_Arthas_Male_Human_ERROR_NEED_MANA_01 I don't have enough Mana.
- VO_Arthas_Male_Human_ERROR_MINION_ATTACKED_01 That minion already attacked.
- VO_Arthas_Male_Human_ERROR_I_ATTACKED_01 I already attacked.
- VO_Arthas_Male_Human_ERROR_JUST_PLAYED_01 Give that minion a turn to get ready.
- VO_Arthas_Male_Human_ERROR_HAND_FULL_01 My hand is full!
- VO_Arthas_Male_Human_ERROR_FULL_MINIONS_01 I have too many minions!
- VO_Arthas_Male_Human_ERROR_STEALTH_01 I can't target Stealthed minions.
- VO_Arthas_Male_Human_ERROR_PLAY_01 I can't play that.
- VO_Arthas_Male_Human_ERROR_TARGET_01 That's not a valid target.
- VO_Arthas_Male_Human_ERROR_TAUNT_01 A minion with Taunt is in the way.
- VO_Arthas_Male_Human_ERROR_GENERIC_01 I cannot do that.
- VO_Arthas_Male_Human_WOW_01 Holy Light!
- VO_Arthas_Male_Human_HAPPY_HOLIDAYS_01 Happy Feast of Winter Veil!
- VO_Arthas_Male_Human_HAPPY_NEW_YEAR_01 Happy New Year!
- VO_Arthas_Male_Human_HAPPY_NEW_YEAR_LUNAR_01 Happy New Year!
- VO_Arthas_Male_Human_FIRE_FESTIVAL_01 Light the bonfires!
- VO_Arthas_Male_Human_PIRATE_DAY_01 It's good to be Arrrrrrrthas!
GAMEPLAY_PlayErrors_REQ_TARGET_NOT_VAMPIRE That minion is already a vampire
GAMEPLAY_PlayErrors_REQ_TARGET_NOT_DAMAGEABLE_ONLY_BY_WEAPONS That character can only be damaged by weapons
GAMEPLAY_PlayErrors_REQ_NOT_DISABLED_HERO_POWER Your Hero Power is disabled
GAMEPLAY_PlayErrors_REQ_MUST_PLAY_OTHER_CARD_FIRST You must play a card first
GAMEPLAY_PlayErrors_REQ_HAND_NOT_FULL Your hand is full
Official Patch Notes
Quote from Blizzard
In this Hearthstone update we’re laying a path of frost for Knights of the Frozen Throne, Hearthstone’s newest expansion! We’re also making Arena rewards more consistent, changing Dreadsteed, and fixing several bugs.
Read on for details!
Knights of the Frozen Throne arrives on August 10!
- Witness as Hearthstone’s heroes embrace the Lich King’s power to become Death Knights in Hearthstone’s latest expansion: Knights of the Frozen Throne. Knights of the Frozen Throne introduces 135 all-new cards -- including a crypt-full of undead monstrosities, a new health-draining keyword in Lifesteal, and an all-new card type: Hero cards!
- Death Knight Hero cards – Each of Hearthstone’s nine Heroes can wield the chilling power of a Death Knight. Hero cards are an all-new card type, neither spell nor minion, that allow you to transform your existing hero into a new one, complete with a powerful Battlecry, armor, and a potent new hero power!
- Knights of the Frozen Throne introduces free single-player Missions.
- A new section of Missions unlocks each week until all the Missions are unlocked.
- The Prologue and The Lower Citadel are available with the launch of Knights of the Frozen Throne.
- Earn a free random Death Knight hero card just for facing the Lich King in the Prologue. Earn a Knights of the Frozen Throne card pack after completing each Mission section, for a total of 3.
- Defeat the final Mission with all nine classes to earn a new Paladin hero!
- New Paladin Hero: Prince Arthas
- Arena Rewards: Reduced variance of rewards in Arena. In particular, reward bags will no longer contain single, non-Golden Common cards.
- Arena Draft Change – The first two sets of cards in a draft are now more likely to include synergy-based cards.
- Added the following card backs:
- Blood Knight – Acquired from achieving Rank 20 in Ranked Play, August 2017.
- Frost Knight – Acquired from achieving Rank 20 in Ranked Play, September 2017.
- Call of the Light – Acquired from a special promotion.
- Call of the Void – Acquired from a special promotion.
- Card Change: Dreadsteed.
- Dreadsteed’s text now reads: Deathrattle: At the end of the turn, summon a Dreadsteed.
- Mistress of Pain and Wickerflame Burnbristle now use the Lifesteal keyword.
- Fandral Staghelm’s text has been updated to reflect that he will interact with powers as well: Your Choose One cards and powers have both effects combined.
- Changing your Hero will no longer 'refresh' your weapon swing.
- Auchenai Soulpriest and similar effects will only trigger once when combined with Lifesteal.
- The deck recipe "replace missing cards" UI no longer closes after every card is selected.
- Devices with no Wifi capability will now correctly receive a no wifi error message during Fireside Gatherings.
- Adventure bosses now correctly respond to the 'Wow' emote.
- Several cards that interact with cards of a specific type now glow when those cards are on the board.
- Anub'ar Ambusher no longer shows a Poisonous Keyword on mouse-over.