HearthPwn Site Update - Performance Fixes Round One
Fight! Actually, don't do that, please don't do that.
Earlier today we deployed our first update of the new year to HearthPwn with browser performance in mind. Site performance has been a large hurdle for us, and we've been working hard to examine where the issues are and how we can best solve them.
These fixes are by no means the end, we're going to continue evaluating performance issues on the site and making improvements as time goes on. We want everyone to have a great experience here and can't thank you enough for your continued feedback.
- New social sharing buttons.
- The old buttons on the homepage could cause browser hangs.
- Now you can click on the dedicated share button to choose the networks you want to post to.
- SWFObject has been.. removed!
- We don't actually need this.
- It was loading on every page and some users would even see it loading as an icon in the corner. Sorry about that.
- TinyMCE, our post editor:
- This used to load on every single page whether you needed it or not. Not anymore!
- On pages where it does load, it's been improved.
- Collapsible Elements, have improved performance.
- Front page widget is less heavy.
- We loaded this a couple of times more than we needed to due to some bugs, that's no longer an issue.
- A few JS libraries have been removed. They were bandaids to give us features some browsers didn't support - they do now!
- Made improvements to the fixedCardListing function used on deck pages to cause less issues.
- Automatically updating timers on the site have been improved.
- Forum-specific code no longer loads on every page.
- The user is online animation on profiles which caused lag has been fixed.
- Several issues with reflow have been fixed.
- Fixed an issue where you weren't able to update your account information.
How You Feelin' Mon?
Have you noticed any improvements to site performance while browsing today? We've created a poll and ask that you leave your mark on it. Also, please leave us a comment below to let us know about your experiences - we'll be reading them all.
Extra: Ask the Hearthstone Devs Anything
Ben and Dean are going to be doing a livestreamed developer Q&A this Friday and we've been asked to forward on any questions you may have. We're collecting them in this dedicated forum thread, so head on over and leave us some of your questions to hand off.