[HIGH BUDGET] Making Priest viable!

• #1 (Beta Patch 4482)

Hey guys!

Recently with all these Hunter rush decks and many Pally and Druid controls I started to play Priest again and I have to say that is hilarious fun to play and that it does have a very good match-up against all these decks. I've posted already a build in "HotSoup88" thread and the discussion there gave me some good ideas. In the end my build does look kinda random but it is very versatile over the whole course of a match. It's not the easiest deck to play because u have to make a lot of good predictions but if u can start to master it, it does have answers to almost every situation.
    Currently I am Rank 6 but still winning most of my games. I will talk about my card choices below.

Cost: 9820 Dust

Export to BBCode Export to Cockatrice Export to MarkDown Export to Html Clone this deck
    Minion (19) Ability (11)

Well where to start... :D

1-Mana-Drops
    2 Northshire Cleric + 1 Lightwarden + 2 Holy Smite + 2 Power Word: Shield
    Wow. So many good drops at 1 mana is VERY strong. While Northshire and Lightwarden are always handy with ur hero power it's also good to have these doods against Hunter for ur early game. Most Hunter cards do have 1 health and so both of these low drops can trade most of em efficiently. Lightwarden can be a big buffed power horse especially when combined with PW: Shield. I ended up cutting Lightwarden to 1 because I had to kick something to make room for other stuff and because Lightwarden isn't THIS overwhelming to play it twice in my opinion. Sometimes it baits out a removal like Wrath or Claw but overall it's a decent card at 1. 2 Holy Smite are strong with the Pyromancer play and against rush decks. PW: Shield is a must-have! So much value for 1 mana is ridiculous strong!

2-Mana-Drops
    Nat Pagle + 2 Pyromancer
    Not much to say. Since I already have 3 1 mana minions I dont wanna play too many 2 mana stuff. Nat is very good because u can heal him back. With PW:Shield u get a 0/6 Nat which is also very annoying for ur opponent early on. Combined with Cleric u can draw so many cards that u rarely lose control of the match. Pyromancer is simply strong. Priest does lack some early AOE with Nova at 5 mana and with so many low mana spells he it's a nobrainer to add him.

3-Mana-Drops
    2 Injured Blademaster + 1 Harvest Golem + 1 Thoughtsteal + 1 Shadow Word: Death + 1 Tinkmaster Overspark
    In the beginning I had 2 Blademaster + 2 Thoughtsteal. At some point I added 2 Golems having too many 3 mana cards so I ended up with this setup. Blademaster is simply too strong to not to play him. 4/3 at 3 mana is super strong. Healing him back...no comment. With Cleric, well GG. 1 Harvest Golem because he is always a good card. Especially vs Rush u can maintain board control early / mid with it. And u can heal him back. I kicked 1 Thoughtsteal though it hurts me. It's such a good card but most of the time I prefer dropping a minion than using Thoughtsteal. It's most of the time a "filler card" when u have 3 mana to spare to get some value out of it. And it can make ur game more versatile because u always get some interesting cards of ur opponent. Stealing Flare Vs Hunter, Ancient of Lore Vs Druid, Gorehowl Vs Warrior or some good removals and legendaries is always good. Sadly it's still a RNG card therefore it's okay to just play one. SW: Death is good at 1 against Giants and other big stuff. Nothing special. Tinkmaster is a straight removal and good with Faceless Manipulator. Nuff said.

4-Mana-Drop
    1 Shadow Madness + 1 Auchenai Soulpriest + 1 Defender of Argus + 1 Sen'jin Shieldmasta + 1 Spellbreaker
    Now it get's interesting. While this looks very weird it's kinda good on its own. Shadow Madness is a very strong card. I gets most of the time a 2 for 1 value and if u manage to steal a Loot Hoarder and trade with his minions it's brokes as hell. I added recently one Soulpriest still testing it. It's does have good stats at 4 mana and it can turn ur hero power into a very devastating destructive spell. Playing at least 1 without any combo cards like Circle of Heal is okay in my opinion. Sometimes u need another 2 DMG especially Vs 4 ATK minions. 1 DOA is always good to have. While hunter will simply go for ur face u always get 2 taunts on the field. It can buff Blademaster, Harvest Golem and Lightwarden which is always great. Also it's a good +1/+1 for ur minions. At 10 mana u can combine him with Cabal Shadow Priest which is a strong play as well. But with the nerf for DOA I added 1 Sen'jin. Early taunters a great Vs Hunter and other aggro deck. U can always heal him up and with PW: Shield it's simply a 3/7 taunt for 5 mana. Way too good. Also good to hide ur Lightwarden / Nat / Cleric behind him. Spellbreaker does have good stats for a silence. I also wanna add that I had some terrific problems without any source of silence in this deck Vs some annoying legendaries. Also a good combo card with Faceless Manipulator. I like him.

5-Mana-Drops
    2 Holy Nova + 1 Faceless Manipulator
    Holy Nova is a nobrainer. Faceless is a strong card in the control match-up and best combined like I wrote above. Even against hunter u can still copy a shieldmasta for having 2 taunts on the field. Versatile combos available with this one.

6-Mana-Drop
    1 Cabal Shadow Priest + 1 Holy Fire + 1 Sylvanas Windrunner + 1 Cairne Bloodhoof + 1 The Black Knight
    So many good cards at 6 mana. The 3 legendaries are always there to cover ur board control. Black Knight is a must have if u should play Vs Giants / Druid other annoying taunts. Cabal Shadow Priest is one of my most favorite cards in this deck. Stealing Nat / Loot Hoarder or other stuff is hilarious. I had one game where I used Thoughtsteal and got a Aldor Peacekeeper Vs Pally. He played Rag and I combined Peacekeeper + Shadow Priest which was my Victory. Very funny stuff. Holy Fire is a straight removal. It might be a bit expensive for 6 mana but it help against minions with 4 ATK and it gives u some health back which can be crucial in some games.

7+-Mana-Drops
    1 Mind Control
    Well...still a strong card though not often THIS good. It sucks Vs aggro. It sucks when ur opponent does have board control while u dont have. It sucks when u have to play more than 1 card but u cant because it eats ur turn. It sucks when Druid innervates early into sth big and you draw Mind Control which is useless at this point. It sucks when u play 2 and draw them early. It sucks Vs Handlock because he drops big creatures on turn 4. You dont survive this long and wanna draw a Mind Control at this point. On the other hand it's very strong vs Druid and Pally. And ur opponent is always in a arkward position because he doesnt know how many u play. I ended up playing the Faceless Combo which is strong earlier and more versatile because u can always play more cards. Faceless + Tinkmaster leaves u with 2 mana where u can still use ur hero power. While Mind Control is good on its own I rarely was in the need of 2. One well timed Mind Control can end the game anyways. Not needed to have 2. 

Overall a solid build. The worst Match-Up in my opinion is Giant. It's not an autolose but it's still difficult. The good part is that I rarely see Warlocks atm because it gets fucked by hunter. Therefore I'm in a good spot with this one.
    I win also most of my games Vs Hunter. Heal is way too good against it. I only lose when he kinda draw extremly good with 2 Kill Command + Leeroy but well...the other classes would lose at the same point. My hero power is strong enough to counter his so I only have to take care about the minions.
    Druid is an interesting match-up. If he pushed a lot too early it's difficult to win. Especially Vs Innervate plays. But in most cases I do have a solid Match-Up Vs Druid.

Cards to consider:
    Well what shall I say? U could basically add a 2nd copy of most of these cards to the deck.
    You can think about some higher legendary stuff like Rag and others but I dislike the fact that many people run BGH right now. Which u could add as well.
    You could add Prophet Velen but in my opinion he sucks. I tested him the whole time and most of the time he was completely garbage. I play for board control not for burn combos with Holy Fire and stuff. Most of the time he gets insta silence, killed and so on. I prefer the other cards.
    Chillwind Yeti is a good card right now as well. With the Argus nerf there is always need for strong 4-Mana-Drops. With the fact that u can heal him you have a very stong meatshield infront of u.
    Abomination is also a good AOE clear taunter. But In some matches ur field is full with minions and u dont wanna drop him because he isn't going to help u. I prefered Taz'Dingo in here.
    SW: Pain can be also used. But with 2 Smite + Pyromancer I never had any problems so far. SW: Pain is good in the mirror match Vs Cleric or overall Vs Nat / Acolyte but tbh I never missed SW: Pain so far.
    Everything u wanna add and test :)

Well that's it. Have fun testing :D

ATTACHMENTS
    • Priest
    • Curve
    Last edited by ExWhizzy on 1/19/2014 10:32:08 AM

Dun mess with ma gang, b*shes!

• #2 (Beta Patch 4482)

I lack the legendaries to try this out, but have you fought about Circle of Healing? Works well with the Injured Blademaster, with Auchenai Soulpriest (giving you a possible turn 4 flamestrike where the Soulpriest survives!) and with Northshire Cleric!

• #3 (Beta Patch 4482)

Yeah I know. And I tried it but in my opinion it's way too lackluster.
    It's only good in some combination which forces me to play 2 Soulpriest. Something I don't wanna do. I prefer the healing of my hero power than having Soulpriest twice. I know that it's very strong when u have the combo but at some points I dont wanna draw into a Circle of Healing without anything.
    Though I also added some combo plays I do feel that my options are more straight-forward than putting these combos into my deck.

• #4 (Beta Patch 4482)

Amaz just today went Legend on his stream with much simpler deck. Also more consistent looking judging from the looks of the deck.

Export to BBCode Export to Cockatrice Export to MarkDown Export to Html Clone this deck
    Minion (16) Ability (14)

This is what he played. Rag and Ysera is something i wouldn't replace but Cairne can be replaced with Sunwalker or something if needed (i run Alexstrasza on that spot myself) and Tinkmaster can be replaced with Big Game Hunter for example.

Last edited by Feralica on 1/19/2014 11:19:01 AM
  • #5 (Beta Patch 4482)

That would be quite the similar build I'd play if I'd choose to build a combo-ish deck like Circle Heal / Soulpriest combos.
    It's obvious that playing with Circle of heal it requires a more consitent version because u wanna draw into these combos.
    My build is sth else as it is more of an overall control build. :)
    But yeah such a build does also have his place in this game.
    When running big winning condition creatures like ysera / rag u dont need mind control this much because you just curve into these big guys. I simply dislike playing too many mana heavy cards. Mind control is great when u have field control and then use mind control to completely wipe ur enemy. It's especially great to steal some class only legendaries like Tirion.

Overall Priest is good right now and there are many ways to play it.

• #6 (Beta Patch 4482)

Yeah i definitely understand your point of view as well now. Combo'ish deck isn't the only way to play priest, you are right on that. But yeah, priest does good now and i'm happy about it. Such a fun class to play and i hope the meta stays like this for a while so we can keep going competitive with priest.

• #7 (Beta Patch 4482)

Yeah I've been watching Amaz's stream. His build is pretty solid. The thing w/ Soulpriest and CoH is you have to really go all in and commit a lot of cards in your deck if you want to run it. 

I like watchers/Sunfury/Argus/Spellbreakers over the running CoH/Auchenai/Injured Blademaster and then to an extent Wild Pyro/Smite/Earthen Ring. I feel a lot of those cards can be subpar vs control and Amaz only running 2 Argus's is vulnerable to hunter rush.

This is what I'm running, I feel like it's a lot less vulnerable to bad draws - rank 3 atm.

Minion (20) Ability (10)

Last edited by Canadianpimp on 1/19/2014 1:20:02 PM
  • #8 (Beta Patch 4482)

I really like the Amaz deck! Definitely gonna try it when I have the legendaries, thank you for posting it!

• #9 (Beta Patch 4482)

Any thoughts on alternatives to Ysera? Don't have her yet unfortunately but have the other big dragons. Malygos seems like a crazy substitute though.

• #10 (Beta Patch 4482)

The best part about the Priest + CoH deck is that it is extremly strong in the mirror match.
    When u manage to drop a 4/7 on turn 3 its very difficult of the opposing Priest player to beat this field.

• #11 (Beta Patch 4482)

I simply love this deck and it's options.

One situations I had which was win after this moment:

My enemy has a sylvanas with 5/5. I have a northshire cleric and a pyromancer. I used PW: SHield on pyromancer he was 3/4. I use holy smite on the enemy champion. Everything gets 1 DMG. I use holy nova and draw 2 card leaving sylvanas at 1 HP. Afterwards I used my Hero Power to heal sylvanas to draw another card. Then attack with cleric, then pyromancer sylvanas dies but there was nothing on the board. :D

The only downside is really Giantlock and CoH Priest when he can get 4/7 in turn 3 out which is a pain in the ass. otherwise I stand a very good match up against everything.
    There are some matches where you still lose vs hunter because u cannot have all options every game while hunter players sometimes have too much. But at this point most decks would lose. 

• #12 (Beta Patch 4482)
    Quote from sejm84 »

Any thoughts on alternatives to Ysera? Don't have her yet unfortunately but have the other big dragons. Malygos seems like a crazy substitute though.

I wouldn't necessarily look for a 'big dragon' replacement - Sylvanas is still a solid choice. As are Sunwalkers, Nat Pagle or something along those lines. 

'Go home and be a family man!'

Decks (Current as of 8/11):

Sonic boom! | Aggro Rogue

• #13 (Beta Patch 4482)

Don't need Ysera. 19/4 Lightwarden FTW.

But really I would not run Ysera either. When you look at Priest u can curve into everything since you got plenty of time when playing priest. I still curve mainly into 6 because you want and you can maintain early / mid dominance and board control with heals. Therefore u dont wanna draw into too many high mana cards. The reason I run Mind Control is not as a whole winning condition it's more as a win saver.
    Mind Control is best played when u already have a board. Lets say you got a pretty board out there and your enemy drops sth which could give u some trouble or at least give him the chance of a comeback - mind control. Other than than u really dont need to curve into anything big. You can always outsustain ur enemy and then when he lacks removals / minions in the lategame u can still win because you still have card advantage over him.
    People are thinking that the Hero Power of Priest isn't this good because it doesnt have any impact on turn 2. But hell, it's pretty insane to be honest. While people try to build their control to get the most value out of their cards (like Harvest Golem / Cairne and others) Priest does have the opportunity simply to do that with his hero power. You can trade all day and heal minions back which is simply too good for trading.
    The main problems Priest does have in my opinion are these specific cases / match-ups:

- Warlock Giant. Well, when he can manage to drop too many giants / drake early you are in a bad spot. But to be honest...most decks are without a proper hand.
    - Shaman. I consider Shaman's Totems to be very strong. I play a lot Shaman myself any people understimate the power of them. the main problem is that he has 4 Spells for 1 Mana which deal 3 DMG to get rid of all ur clerics easily. He does have totems while you dont have such an impact on early game so it's difficult to clear them. It doesn't matter how many heals u got to maintain board presence he can simply Hex for good values. And his massive spells + Spell Power can be a pain sometimes. I'd consider Shaman to be a more difficult match-up and yes I am even more afraid of it than of Druid though u rarely see good Shaman builds and players.
    - Mirror Match (but only the CoH-ones). Well I tested amaz build the whole night with a friend and we have to say that it's all or nothing. If u do have the combo it's freaking great if not, well it kinda sucks at many points. It looks consistent but it lacks options in many situations. Sometimes to draw Soulpriest without CoH or the other way around. And these are games you are "drawing dead" in many of them. Another problem with it is that if u get the combo with Soulpriest or CoH it doesn't make any sense to play it on turn 4. There is not board to clear. And in the lategame I guess there are better options out there. Good players do see when you are playing a CoH build and wont let a board full of any minions with 4 hp there.
    The main problem for the priest player who doesnt run CoH is Blademaster + CoH. That's the main problem. As Priest you do have problems against 4 ATK minions. Nothing new. Twilight Drake can be silenced but Blademaster is a pain in the ass. But sometimes you do have players who simply like to go turn 3 Bladermaster + CoH, Turn 4 DOA for no reason to give u a chance to use SW: Death. I still prefer a regular control over this combo deck.
    - Ysera, Ysera, Ysera, Ysera, Ysera. Yeah yeah....ysera. Lets face it, she is a PAIN in the ass. While she is a super late play she is best played (and if u asked me ONLY played) in Druid. The main reason for that is simply Innervate. There is the slight possibility to get Innervate + Ysera and even when it does occur somewhat rarely I still would run her there because in such a situation you already won the game (if you opponent doesnt have a hard counter on that). I am well, lets say kinda prepared for her. Mind Control can pick her up. Sometimes I drop Sylvanas killing herself with SW: Death to steal her. Tinkmaster. Spellbreaker + Faceless. (it's still a 4/12 beatstick but I prefer that than having my opponent having + 1 every turn. Because in most games I am the player generating advantage thx to Cleric and heals for valuable trades). Other than that lets see what you get when running Ysera. If u play against aggro it's useless. If u play vs Druid he can always bring out his ysera earlier. When u play vs Pally it's somewhat okay but he can easily equality it and u wasted 9 mana for nothing. Against Shaman he can Hex it. And in the mirror match u drop ysera on turn 9 and he can play Mind control on it and u lose. Well I don't wanna lose games because of my own ysera. Especially in the mirror match. And ysera is not a winning condition in Priest. The WHOLE deck is a winning condition, getting control over hand and board turn after turn after turn.
    - The match-up vs Pally and Druid is interesting. Most of the games it comes to fatigue but with me having more cards and then winning. I won more games vs Pally and Druid but it's still somewhat of a control Vs. control match-up which is always interesting and quite balanced. Simply count what major threat they could play and force urself to not waste ur removals like Tinkmaster on garbage. In some game I did not Tinkmastered his Cairne (thought it's not a bad move to do) just to save it for a ysera (which didnt came) but simply not letting him getting the edge over the match at some point. In another game vs Pally I had Mind Control and SW: Death while he dropped Rag on turn 10. I could Mind Controlled there but I didnt because I was keeping it for his Tirion and stuff...these are predictions u have to consider when playing priest but if u do u get the best values out of it. (if it works). Sometimes I misscalculated myself and then lose the game coz of that but I am not one of these massive proplayers out there like (-insert random high ranked legendary player / famous streamer / tournament winner here-)

The main problems Priest had in the former patches were that it lost Vs Board Control Warlock / Murloc because Priest lacks good early board clear with Holy Nova at 5 and Vs Aggro Mage which simply dealt too much dmg to finish u off on turn 8. You heals didnt do shit vs 10 DMG Pyro when he got you below 10 hp at that point.
    With these 2 decks nerfed Priest does stand a chance in the current meta and that is nice. Priest was a good control to be played vs other control all of the time. But the main issue were these 2 decks I mentioned. With Blood Imps nerf I haven't lost a singe game vs Murloc / Board Control Warlock yet. It was always a pain that Blood Imp just countered Pyromancer. Now u are able to clear the board early. Mage is still an interesting match-up. I lost one game to it lately because he dropped 2 Mana wyrms on turn 1 with coin and had enough spells to buff them early to deal so much dmg to me that I didnt had the chance to recover. But I guess that playing Vs Mage now is not somewhat of an "autolose" it was before.

By the way I am now at Rank 5 3 Stars with my build. Playing Priest now since I was rank 13 - 3 days ago. I might still try to swap in an Ooze for some situations but I dont find any room. 1 Ooze is way too great in the Rogue / Warrior / Hunter Match-Up. I will do more testing with the build I play currently and then maybe switch some cards out.

Last edited by ExWhizzy on 1/20/2014 3:22:10 AM

• #14 (Beta Patch 4482)
    Quote from Canadianpimp »

Yeah I've been watching Amaz's stream. His build is pretty solid. The thing w/ Soulpriest and CoH is you have to really go all in and commit a lot of cards in your deck if you want to run it. 

I like watchers/Sunfury/Argus/Spellbreakers over the running CoH/Auchenai/Injured Blademaster and then to an extent Wild Pyro/Smite/Earthen Ring. I feel a lot of those cards can be subpar vs control and Amaz only running 2 Argus's is vulnerable to hunter rush.

This is what I'm running, I feel like it's a lot less vulnerable to bad draws - rank 3 atm.

Minion (20) Ability (10)

I like this build. Don't like CoH+soul priest and this ifs close to what I'd run, I. Gonna fit a Harrison jones in here just because

• #15 (Beta Patch 4482)
    Quote from Canadianpimp »

Minion (20) Ability (10)

I'll just chime in saying this deck is great and quite fun to play. I haven;t tested it out in Ranked yet (currently rank 8) but in Casual it's gone 17W - 4L.

• #16 (Beta Patch 4482)

I'd say with priest, your always going to look for some kind of combination plays to deal with rush, no matter how you look at it as you have 3 options; 1 wild pyro combo plays, 2 coh combo plays, 3 mass taunts and hope it slows them down enough to take control in the mid-late.. thats going to be the case in the current meta where half plays rush(murloc,hunter,mage,rogue), the other half plays control(warlock,warrior,priest,giantmage) to not even mention druid as its found nice balance with their choose 1 cards.

With taunt you have the issue of equality, solid single target removal(shaman/mage in specific is bothersome) and the more increasingly popular black knight which almost became staple in decks, with the other 2 you'll have dead draws every now and then.

And then either you play a lot of 2 ofs to get consistancy with your deck or you play a lot of 1 ofs to get versitility to deal with certain matchups,

I'd say:

-1 Cabal shadowpriest, -1 holy nova, -1 lightwarden, -1 wild pyromancer, -1 Holy smite(would've dropped harvest but then realised you don't have -ANY- answers to a coined out faery dragon untill turn 4 which is pretty much the only reason i did it this way, if your not worried about the feary do it the other way around to improve pyro plays).

+2 Circle of healing, +1 defender of argus/sunfury protector, +1 spellbreaker,+1 sw:d.

Your running 1 auchnai(without coh? oO) and 2 blademasters, blademaster without heals is a 4/3 and easely killed by nearly every 2 drop and most of the 2-3 cost removal. Meaning you can only play it at this point around turn 5(or 4 with coin) to give you a 4/5(making it worse then Yeti's). Coh makes it a 4/7 at turn 3 or even turn 2 with coin. If you can coin this out... you can take early charge of the game and win in the midgame which concidering your not running rag/ysera and such... Auchnai with circle of healing is the only way you'll deal with murlock warlock aswell as it being rock solid vs most rogue decks amongst a few others. Holy nova generally is a card thats amazing when you have some board to go with it, playing it on a naked board makes it a 2 aoe for 5 which isn't horrible but most of the time, it won't be sufficient anyway) Also circle of healing with cleric can give massive carddraw which is why as long as you have a board, the chances of this being dead card are reasonably low.

The alternative route for not playing coh has been listed above which is the version amaz and a lot of others are playing, even tho you could tweak that for pyro plays if your really scared of rush.

You say you have a problem against warlock giants, the additional spellbreaker will help in that matchup as their drakes become cards that you can deal with, contrary to not having that 1 silence you run... what do you do against it except hope your blademaster trades with it if you don't draw that 1 silence? Additionally, the 2nd sw:d will help you massively in this matchup, additionally its a 3 cost removal vs druid which is solid against some of their innervate plays.

Cabal shadowpriest is too slow, it has a good body but the best steal you have is generally not going to be an amazing one with a 2 attack minion. best case scenario, you'll steal a harvest golem or something like that but by those turns, there's generally more threatening things on the board.

I rearranged your aoe slightly with this spread, 1 pyro, 2 coh(1 auchnai), 1 holy nova. I feel like this gives you more options personally, you can disagree with it all you like but this is my thought on it which i even tried to explain above.

The extra defender will aid you against rush, while the sunfury would do the same without the statboost, its also the superior card(in your deck) in priest mirrors while allowing you to heal aswell.

Concidering your playing an anti-meta deck(which as priest, i can definately agree with) you'll always have 5-6 dead cards in certain matchups and concidering potential dead draws, you'll need some luck.

I've been curious about priest legends being an option perhaps, sadly i don't have all of the legendarys to actually build it.(Simular to warrior legend just more around abuse of wild pyro or auchnai to deal with the board and then playing legendary after legendary till you win because they are out of removal kind of thing)

Last edited by Tali on 1/27/2014 1:31:17 PM
  • #17 (Beta Patch 4482)

Priest is viable again but a health gain based Paladin will generally out play Priests - just playing around Mind Control is still as annoying as ever though. If only Priests had Innervate, ha!

• #18 (Beta Patch 4482)

I'm gonna try this deck ExWhizzy. 

• #19 (Beta Patch 4482)

Why are you running a Cabal Shadow Priest? I don't think the meta is aggro enough for you to gain value on turn 6

Last edited by saadatorama on 1/28/2014 9:01:22 PM

• #20 (Beta Patch 4482)

I've tried using this exact deck in ranked.  I got about 50% win ratio at rank 17. 

• To post a comment, please login or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes