Mage Rush Deck - 3 star master

• #1 (Beta Patch 3937)

Recently I have been doing some ranked testing with Mage (Im 3 star master), my score so far with this deck is 30 wins - 4 looses (2 of the looses were due to unlucky starting hand (nothing to play before turn 3-4) and in 2 games opponent just had god-hand, nothing I could have done). I didn't see deck like the one I'm playing here so I thought I would share it with you guys :)

Mage Rush - 3 star master
    Export to BBCode Export to Cockatrice Export to MarkDown Export to Html Clone this deck
    Minion (20) Ability (10)

Cards that I'm still not sure about in this deck are Mana Wyrm, Novice Engineers and Loot Hoarder, I used to run 1 Acolyte of Pain instead of the Hoarder.

How to Play

Basically what you do with this deck is rush your opponent down to 15-10 Hp and finish the game with Pyro or Fireballs. So try to have Mana Wyrms, Shattered Suns, Frostbolts, Leper Gnomes and Water Eles in your starting hand. Play strong early creatures, buff them, attack your opponent whenever its possible and let them do the trading.

• Water Eles are really good because they have 6 hp and cant be removed easily by anything, and if you can keep your Ele alive you can keep freezing heroes like druid,rogue and warrior every turn preventing them from using weapons/hero powers.
    • Argent Commander is great for getting the last needed damage in because of charge or taking down bigger creatures because of divine shield
    • Leper Gnome is actually great 1 drop, if you can get it on turn 1 it will probably deal 2-6 damage and If you can buff it with Shattered Sun Cleric you can trade well, + 2 damage from Deathrattle, also it works well with Defender of Argus.
    • I have little mixed feelings about Mana Wyrm, sometimes it can be super good, for example when you play it on turn 1 and turn 2 coin into Sun Cleric making your Wyrm 3/4 but sometimes its kind of useless because this deck has only 10 spells.
    • Faerie Dragon is super good because you can play it on turn 1 with coin and it cant be removed with spells so you will most likely get at least 6 damage done with it.
    • Defenders are here to keep you safe against rush decks until you can draw Blizzards and also to buff your guys obv.
    • This deck also has great control because of blizzard and Cone of Cold

Last edited by elfenyu on 12/1/2013 11:49:31 AM

Elfenyu#2589 Eu  -  My 3star Mage rush deck - My Arena Guide

• #2 (Beta Patch 3937)

I'd trade Cone of Cold for Arcane Intellect, other than that deck looks pretty solid.

Don't Kick My Robot
    www.dontkickmyrobot.com
    DKMR Deck Tester

• #3 (Beta Patch 3937)

Hmm.... I dunno, I haven't really had trouble with card draw, novice+thalnos+hoarder+dragons gives you normally enough cards, lately I have been having some trouble with rush warlocks and rogues, score is about 41-8 atm, not really sure what to change, atm i'm trying out amani berserkers instead of hoarder and novice, could also try missiles or geomancers

• #4 (Beta Patch 3937)

Arcane explosion with a +Spell dmg guy up can work pretty well against Murloc or Warlock rush decks.

Raidboss - Hearthstone Addict
    www.youtube.com/RaidbossHS

• #5 (Beta Patch 3937)

Ymm personally I don't like Arcane Explosion, and Cone of Cold pretty much does the same thing, the problem as you mentioned is +spell dmg, I dont really have it early on, that is why I was thinking about adding Geomancers, but they pretty much die right away as they are played :P

Last edited by elfenyu on 11/16/2013 3:12:29 PM

• #6 (Beta Patch 3937)

I have been playing this deck today and I really like it. I'm new to mages, so not sure how to improve it, just having fun ;)

• #7 (Beta Patch 3937)

only done a few games but im liking this deck so far!

how do you typically deal with taunt? would you rather trade your creatures into it? spend a frostbolt/fireball on the taunt? or just frostbolt to his face?

this typically happens when my opponent has around 20hp, and im not sure what decision I should be making when the situation arises. and if this happens against a priest, or anyone that has a heal, then I really feel the time pressure because once they realise what I'm trying to do they will just heal back up every turn

• #8 (Beta Patch 3937)

Hey, cool to hear that you guys are liking the deck :)  About the taunts, well obviously it depends of the taunter in question and what you have on the board at the time.

• Usually if its like 3-4-5 hp taunter, I frostbolt (I use frostbolt to clear 3-4 hp non taunt creatures as well to gain board control) + ping
    • If its bigger you can do same + trade with hoarder or leper or enignieer
    • if my opponent plays like yeti or shieldmasta on turn 4 I normally fireball it right away because it slows you down to much.
    • But creatures like frost elemental or argent commander + ping are also good for clearing bigger taunters :)
    • 2/2 2/3 taunters you can also pretty safely clear with guys like Faerie dragon that has +1/+1 from cleric because they cant be killed with spells even if they have 1 hp :)
    Last edited by elfenyu on 11/17/2013 8:07:59 AM

• #9 (Beta Patch 3937)

did you try adding raging worgen in deck?

• #10 (Beta Patch 3937)

Good question :) I have 2 Mage decks, and I run Worgens on the other deck, so I'm aware of it's power in Mage deck, but 1) it get pretty much always removed before it can actually do anything and 2) I already have Clerics as 3 drop and Eles as 4 so I'm not sure if I have time to play them, but could be worth trying ;)

Last edited by elfenyu on 11/17/2013 10:15:37 AM

• #11 (Beta Patch 3937)

ive played nothing but this deck over the last little while and just made it into master with about 4 losses, very nice!

how do you feel about putting in an ooze to save your minions from warriors?

im also considering 1 poly in there somewhere. it seems counter to the goal of the deck but if for some reason you are forced into a slightly longer game (unlucky draws and what not) you have it for their big taunters or damage dealers. thoughts?

• #12 (Beta Patch 3937)

Fireballs remove pretty much any big taunter out there, but just in case you find an obnoxious priest with divine spirit and a 1/20 taunter, run a silence or two.

Don't Kick My Robot
    www.dontkickmyrobot.com
    DKMR Deck Tester

• #13 (Beta Patch 3937)

Quote from elfenyu »

Good question :) I have 2 Mage decks, and I run Worgens on the other deck, so I'm aware of it's power in Mage deck, but 1) it get pretty much always removed before it can actually do anything and 2) I already have Clerics as 3 drop and Eles as 4 so I'm not sure if I have time to play them, but could be worth trying ;)

Yeah I kinda have the same experience with Worgen. I would rather add some silence or Poly to this deck.

• #14 (Beta Patch 3937)

Aight aight, well I have been thinking about ooze, but to be honest, I don't really mind warrior smacking my creatures with weapons, because they will take damage in progress of doing that = getting you closer the the goal  and like I said freezing them with Eles etc prevent them from attacking, that being said, I could try adding ooze :D I have been thinking about poly 2, but like Ihmo said fireball + your strong creatures like argent commander or buffed water elemental can usually deal with taunters. Silence on the other hand could be nice, so maybe I should try adding spellbreaker

Last edited by elfenyu on 11/18/2013 3:06:59 PM

• #15 (Beta Patch 3937)

What would you add a Spellbreaker in for? I'm guessing a pyroblast.

• #16 (Beta Patch 3937)

i am 3 stars master with this deck aswell but dont have the legendary 

instead have 1 flamestrike

• #17 (Beta Patch 3937)

I think Dark Iron dwarf is really strong you may want to try adding a singleton of him in the deck. I'v been playing Sylvanas Windrunner too but she isn't to strong with all these little rush decks running around. Speaking of little rush decks I feel like cone of cold really loses a lot of value when you aren't running the low casting cost spell damage guys, with most rush minions having 2+ Health. 

Additionally, I feel like Leeroy Jenkins would be strong as well, for all intensive purposes it would be like a 3rd Fireball witch seems good. Here is my list I have been working on the past few days I need to make a few changes my self b4 I do anymore ranked.

After thinking for awhile I am gonna give you deck a try with these changes. - 2 Cone of Cold  + 1 Dark Iron Dwarf + 1 Leeroy Jenkins. At this point I consider taking out the Mana wyrms due to the spell count, However - 2 Water Elemental + 2 Polymorph could work or just go ahead and -2 Mana wyrm and + 2 Acidic Swamp Ooze

3Star Diamond Mage
    Export to BBCode Export to Cockatrice Export to MarkDown Export to Html Clone this deck
    Minion (20) Ability (10)

Last edited by Opposure on 11/26/2013 12:13:26 AM
  • #18 (Beta Patch 3937)

Love this deck, went for 26-7 past few days all in Master 3 star

Your point for the Mana Wyrm is valid, I think 1 should be enough, another I think could be replaced by something else.

However, Mana Wyrm is still good because it draws removal from your opponent, people tend to immediately remove cards like this, just like the Priest's Northshine Cleric.

Just noticed you put in 2 Amani Berserker, I will give it a try when I got home

• #19 (Beta Patch 3937)

Yeh Wyrms are good "taunt" creatures for sure :D Yeh I have been testing out Amani berserkers, I prefer 2/3 because they can survive more and the added value of being able to turn him into 5/2 with ping sounds nice :)

• #20 (Beta Patch 3937)

I can imagine an even more aggressive early game with those Amani Berserkers :D

With the draw minions taken out, you have any problem running out of cards early?

• To post a comment, please login or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes