Top Decks of the Week
It's Sunday and that means we're taking a look at the top decks of the past week here on HearthPwn. Quite a healthy bit of class distribution this time around with Shaman being the only class not making the top cut.
|Legend Grim Patron Warrior||Senfglas||700|
|Brian Kibler's S13 Dragon Paladin||EvilQoo||6960|
|Midrange Dragon Rogue||allstar997||5860|
Blackrock Mountain Boss Design
Philip Kollar of Polygon got a chance to sit down with Hearthstone Senior Game Designer, Ben Brode, to discuss the design around bosses in Blackrock Mountain. The interview went over the bosses we saw in Wing #4 - Blackwing Lair. We've recapped their interview below, check out the full interview.
- The team wanted to do Molten Core initially, but there weren't enough bosses.
- They settled on the surrounding area, Blackrock Mountain.
- "What if we mixes it up and did a greatest hits?"
- First part of the design was to go do dungeons in World of Warcraft.
- They wanted to find out what was most memorable and cool about each fight.
- The art team took screenshots of the raids to figure out what to do for the game board.
- The Razorgore fight was the hardest to design.
- An initial version replaced your hero power with one which controlled Razorgore, so you'd fill his side with eggs and win as Razorgore.
- Another version involved playing as both your hero and Razorgore.
- Ben looks at fights from two different ways:
- Top-down Design - Replicate a boss to feel just like the WoW fight.
- Bottom-up Design - Start from scratch with a boss because the WoW version isn't interesting (Drakkisath).
- The best case of design is when you get a top-down fight that feels like bottom-up.
- Vaelastrasz: "You just felt like you were super powerful."
- It is quite similar to the WoW fight, just instead of regaining main/energy you get cards.
- Ben wanted to do something with cards that triggered when they were in your hand. This fit Chromaggus.
- This design isn't present in Hearthstone, having to choose between spending your mana to "dispel" yourself, or play your own cards.
- The design team is watching community feedback on Chromaggus - should they do it again.
- One version of Chromaggus used cards which gave you debuffs instead of giving him buffs.
- Another version of the fight gave the player the Mutation Hero Power.
- The Nefarian fight had a unique aspect where you might not want to play with a certain class because they had too good of spells.
- Fights in adventures don't have to be 100% exact to WoW lore.
Versus Series - Meta vs Aquablad
Jotto's back with another episode of Versus Series. Today, Meta takes on Aquadblad in a best of three series using the conquest format. Check out the matches below, along with their decklists!